1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need input on whether or not I should purchase a backyard build it yourself chicken coop kit

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SarcasmPhD, Jan 29, 2015.

1. SarcasmPhD

SarcasmPhD Out Of The Brooder

I've been doing some online shopping, comparing prices, etc., on pre-made backyard coops. Are they solid, and worth buying? Or, would I be better off buying the supplies and building it myself? I've got limited time so that is a consideration I am taking into effect when building one. Which is why I am considering a pre-made,put together coop. Thanks in advance!

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It seems most pre-fab coops need to be altered when they arrive on-site, so building it the way it needs to be for your available space might be better. They also look too small for the number of chickens they're supposed to house.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Build your own...you'll get way more bang for your buck.....and probably be much happier in the long run.

4. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Build it yourself!

5. HotDesertChick

HotDesertChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Southern New Mexico
    I think you are likely to get "more bang for your Cluck..."

Make sure that you check out "lumber specs", and quality of materials used in "pre-fabs".

All of the ones that I looked at (not suitable for our particular location anyway though) look very skimpy for large chickens. You may end up spending more in the long run (oops...almost a "pun" again?), having to eliminate the over-crowded chickens, and their then-filthy living conditions, ...AND...build a larger coop down the road anyway, if you decide to keep your stressed foul fowl?

Many of the pre-fabs are cute little designs. Most don't look very practical to me. I am also guilty of resigning too much care ...to our animals.

6. GAchickennewbie

GAchickennewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    As someone who bought a coop and run pre-made, I would strongly advise to build yourself.

The coop was less than 2 years old and I've had to replace the roof. I also need to replace the back and 2 sides when I have time.

The wire on top of the run is coming apart and has had to be covered with wood to protect my girls.

I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. SarcasmPhD

SarcasmPhD Out Of The Brooder

I do believe I have my answer. Thank you all for your replies. The pre-fans do look good....in the picture. I'll start researching coop designs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by