Need input on whether or not I should purchase a backyard build it yourself chicken coop kit

SarcasmPhD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Somewhere in the Lone Star.
I've been doing some online shopping, comparing prices, etc., on pre-made backyard coops. Are they solid, and worth buying? Or, would I be better off buying the supplies and building it myself? I've got limited time so that is a consideration I am taking into effect when building one. Which is why I am considering a pre-made,put together coop. Thanks in advance!

It seems most pre-fab coops need to be altered when they arrive on-site, so building it the way it needs to be for your available space might be better. They also look too small for the number of chickens they're supposed to house.

I think you are likely to get "more bang for your Cluck..."

Make sure that you check out "lumber specs", and quality of materials used in "pre-fabs".

All of the ones that I looked at (not suitable for our particular location anyway though) look very skimpy for large chickens. You may end up spending more in the long run (oops...almost a "pun" again?), having to eliminate the over-crowded chickens, and their then-filthy living conditions, ...AND...build a larger coop down the road anyway, if you decide to keep your stressed foul fowl?

Many of the pre-fabs are cute little designs. Most don't look very practical to me. I am also guilty of resigning too much care ...to our animals.

As someone who bought a coop and run pre-made, I would strongly advise to build yourself.

The coop was less than 2 years old and I've had to replace the roof. I also need to replace the back and 2 sides when I have time.

The wire on top of the run is coming apart and has had to be covered with wood to protect my girls.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom