Need insight on anyone that has experienced Blackhead

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
So today I lost a two month old Royal Palm turkey Poult to what my vet said was probably blackhead. she literally was fine up until this morning when she was lethargic and started having mustard colored poops. No signs of any illness before this morning.

She and her sister were hatched by my Orpington hen
who is a ferocious mama I might say, has been so protective of them. They have been with her and only her since day one. The other poult shows no sign of illness and is fine as of this point.

I took the her to the vet first thing today. Vet did fecal check, no signs of parasites. I asked for the antibiotic metranidazole which vet claimed would not help which I believe was bull! At any rate they gave me panacur to give her even though her fecal test was completely clear.

She died 10 minutes after I gave her the panacur. She had numerous seizures before she died. I don’t think I aspirated her, she wasn’t coughing, mouth breathing or anything. I’m at a loss. Am sending her body tomorrow for a necropsy. I believe she maybe ate something toxic to her as she did get to free range with mama chicken and her sis 3 hours a day.

The panacur thing has me freaked out as that could have killed her, maybe allergic reaction?

I just wonder if anyone has lost a turkey to blackhead. Would it happen this suddenly?

I have not had a turkey die of blackhead (that I know of at least). That being said, while the vet may have the best of intentions, alot of vets can be arrogant and ignorant about dealing with poultry. Many also only know the common ailments and treatments for birds raised in commercial settings, which need to be treated differently than birds in a barnyard/free range setting. I have seen occasions where the person keeping the poultry was much more qualified to diagnose and treat ailments, but went with the vets advice because they have a title that implies they know how to treat animals. More often than not, the situation turns out very expensive as well as ending up with a dead bird or a bird that would get better with proper conditions, but ends up being given medications instead. Not saying the diagnoses is incorrect, but unless the person you went to specializes in poultry or has some first-hand, on-farm experience, you might find it prudent to trust your instincts, do your research, and remain skeptical of their prognoses.

Hi. I experienced it in my flock. I have Heritage mixed. I lost one, got him examined. Vet said Blackhead. As mine are all pets, I was able to purchase the metranidazole and have not lost one since. There is not very much information out there for this situation, but I now know this is perfectly treatable. It is also acceptable to still process and consume the treated bird if it is for personal use, it is a matter of choice. Once the yellow poops come, it doesn’t take too long to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom