Need insulation ideas!

@U_Stormcrow I just want to apologize for being snappy on my earlier response. I know you were only trying to help and I appreciate it. Sorry for my momentary fit of brattiness.
Honestly, didn't notice. I'm not wired for social interaction. Nothing to apologize for.

Some posters do get under my skin from time to time, but its generally because they ask for help, then insist they know better, in spite of all evidence. In your case, I was the third? poster commenting on ventilation - and your prior answers to them made clear you were aware of the need for ventilation, and had mentally moved on to the step after that. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I assumed you were simply tired of repeating yourself, for good reason. We were answering the question we thought you were asking (as so many owners makew curious assumptions about chicken's temperature needs), not the question you actually asked of us.

If anyone owes apology, it would be us for our assumptions - but I'm not wired that way, and will leave it for others to do so, should they choose.

:caf

That is very comforting to hear! I would much prefer to acclimate them and provide supplemental heat when the temps are frigid. It’s hard to find anyone willing to discuss the actual hardiness of Seramas. Most just say keep above 40F but can’t back up their response, or aren’t willing to. That is one of the reasons I love BYC. I am always up for learning!
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much wind break and a dry place are the most important. They will huddle together if they get too cold. I have supplemental heat in my coop and it keeps it at a temperature I want. You never want to get the coop too warm. The reason for this is that if the power goes out they can go into shock. I recommend a thermocube kicks on at 35f(it states this but kicks on closer to 32f) and off at 45f. Can use whatever type of heater you want. Good luck and hopefully it all works out for you.

Dont you just want to use a foil backed insulation panel on the interior, and cover it interior paneling or redwood panels? As you know, you will also need to install really good vent system so the moist air can rise and escape. But first a antifungal treatment of the wood before putting the panels. You already have the cavities to place the insulation and panels.
You can just paint the walls with mold primer paint for a type of antifungal treatment. As long as the surface is hard enough their peckers can't get through it should be fine. I like using whirly birds(turbine vents) for ventilation as well as a fresh air intake. The insulation shouldn't matter as long as it's vented well. You can also use rigid insulation if you are worried about mold.

The fiberglass batts would probably be the easiest to install. The only problem will be the depth of the cavity that you are going to be putting the insulation into. My husband actually added an extra 2" board to the 6" rafters when he insulated the ceiling - so he could get a higher insulation value.

Fiberglass batts will have a R-Value of 3.1 to 3.4 per inch - don't pack it in the wall real tight, it needs to be fluffy to work. For reference, solid wood is an R-value of 1 per 1 inch.
If you are going to cover the insulation with a solid surface, you don't have to pay more and get the paper backed insulation. But the paper backed stuff is easier to work with, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom