Need Integration Help

meowteri2

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2010
chicago sw suburbs
I made a coop addition. So now my coop has two 4x8 sections with a sliding screen door as a divider. I have one barred rock and two isa browns over a year old in there
now. I will put two black australorps in the other half. They are 13 weeks old. If I let the birds see each other thru the screen for about two weeks can I let them mix after that. I want to go today and get two buff orpingtons and another barred rock (chicks) and I will put them in the 4x3 brooder that the austrolorps where in.

Last week I tried putting the australorps in the run when just one of the isa browns was out. She flew with here feet first on top of one of the australorps. I never integrated before and I am afraid of them getting hurt. That isa was the bottom of the pecking order and my most docile chicken.

Please help. Never did this before and I am afraid of them getting hurt.

Two weeks may be a little too soon. Especially if the younger ones are much smaller than the older birds. I've been integrating young chicks of about that age by the seperation too, but at 13 weeks this breed (Marans) has a drastic size difference. I leave the chicks in their own run/coop, that is inside the main run. They can see each other without touching. Lots of fence dancing at first! For me, it seems like the right time to let them get together is when the chicks are 3/4 of the size of the older ones. Try letting one of the older hens in with the chicks, on their territory. Better yet, if you can let them loose in the run together, make sure the young ones have an "escape" place they can go to, like a dog crate or such. Treats being fed also seem to help. How can you be mad at someone when you are both enjoying a goody?? Keep in mind that a pecking order must be established, so there will be some skirmishes. As long as the feathers and blood aren't flying, try to let them work it out. Supervise, and realize it may take a week or so of doing this before they are all settled down together. Good luck mama, I know how tough it is to watch the young ones get picked on!
wink.png

I could have typed up a long response, but what I had to say was pretty much exactly what Debbi just said. I use pretty much the same techniques. Good luck!

-S

Back
Top Bottom