Need large wound advice

minniefarm

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Whitmore Lake
I had a chicken attacked this morning by something. We found her in the tall grass, hiding. She has a laceration across her back almost from wing to wing about 1/4 wide. She has a couple puncture wounds and some bruising on her thigh as well. She is limping and holding her wing out. She seems weak and fell over on her side when I tried to move her in the cage. She is up on her feet now, but wings out. We cleared away the loose feathers and put blue kote on all her wounds. I have her in a dog crate. She is drinking and eating. What else should I do? Should we trim the feathers back away from her wound, so it can breath? What are her chances?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...es-i-have-baytril-but-not-sure-what-to-use/20

You can start here at this thread.
I found flushing and flushing the wounds very important. Whispers had a awful smell coming from her. It was a wound under her wing that I had missed from cleansing and applying medicine. And it became pus and infected.
Also I gave her Baytril to fight off the internal infection so she would not go septic.
Must pay very very close attention to parts of your girls body for other wounds or scratches.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...es-i-have-baytril-but-not-sure-what-to-use/20

You can start here at this thread.
I found flushing  and flushing the wounds very important. Whispers had a awful smell coming from her. It was a wound under her wing that I had missed from cleansing and applying medicine. And it became pus and infected.
Also I gave her Baytril to fight off the internal infection so she would not go septic.
Must pay very very close attention to parts of your girls body for other wounds or scratches.

You can't use Baytril on a chicken that you eat her eggs!

Last edited:
Enter in google this sentence:" Withdrawal of Enrofloxacin for Poultry" and read about the FDA withdraw of approval for use of the fluoroquinolone antimicrobial Enrofloxacin (Baytril) in poultry.

Last edited:
I find this Site very helpful also. They actually returned my call about Atroban.
http://www.farad.org/

Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank

FARAD is a congressionally-mandated risk-management program that is supported by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). In view of limited resources, FARAD's focus is limited to food animal species exclusively. The program is maintained by a consortium of universities, including University of California-Davis (UCD), University of Florida (UF), Kansas State University (KSU) and North Carolina State University (NCSU). FARAD's primary mission is to prevent or mitigate illegal or harmful residues of drugs, pesticides, biotoxins and other chemical agents that may contaminate foods of animal origin.
IN THE NEWS:
04-01-15: The FDA announced that Zoetis Animal Health will suspend the sales of nitarsone by fall and formally withdraw the approval for the drug by the end of 2015.

03-27-15: The White House released its National Action Plan for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria, including a five-part approach to curb antibiotic resistance.

Back
Top Bottom