Need more help identifying my chicks

Tara D

Hatching
Jul 15, 2016
Hello

I posted yesterday asking about the gender of my of my chicks and found out that I was misinformed about the types of chickens that we have. So, I am asking your help once again to try and sort this out. We are new to chickens and are finding out that there is so much to learn. We have 7 chickens 3-12 week old Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers), which I believe are all female and 4-10 week old Rhode Island Reds, one male and 3 female, I believe (which I was informed that they are not Rhode Island Reds because they are not red - I guess I should have figured that out). So, please let me know if these really are Ameraucana's and what you think the "Rhode Island Reds" really are (Mulitple people said that they are Buff Orpingtons).
The first picture is of all the chickies eating dandellion leaves. The first two pictures (brown with black head and white with grey head are supposed to be Ameraucanas. What do you think? The third bird is a male, I believe and supposed to be a Rhode Island Red, but I was told that is not true. He/she is definitely more aggressive than the others and likes to "bite" your finger. The fourth picture of the 2 black and white birds are also supposed to be Rhode Island Reds (which I now know is probably not true.) The next one is another Ameraucana and then the last one was supposed to be a female Rhode Island Red. Please let me know your thoughts so I have a better idea of what to expect. Last question...If the one bird turns out to be a rooster, will the crow annoying enough to make the neighbors complain? We live on one acre of suburban property, but I really like him and would like to keep him. Thank you for the advice that I have already been given and thanks in advance!! Tara

Looks to me like you have a couple of Buff Orpingtons. (Nicer birds, in my opinion, than RIRs anyway, but that's just my personal preference) I hesitate to say whether the others are true Americaunas or not. To be on the safe side, I just call all my poofy-faced, colored egg laying hens Easter Eggers.
smile.png
I am not an expert on any breed. Those black and white birds are also definitely NOT Rhode Island Reds. Where did you get your chickens?

In answer to your question about a potential rooster being loud enough to annoy your neighbors, I guess it would depend on the rooster's crow (some are far more pleasant to listen to than others, and they can also vary in volume from bird to bird) and your neighbors. Some may be thrilled to hear it, some may be too hard of hearing to hear it, some may work nights and need to sleep during the day, some may not appreciate it just because they don't like the sounds of roosters. One thing to look into, though, is whether or not roosters are even legal where you live.

#1, #2, #5 are Easter Eggers. #4 is areSilver Laced Wyandottes. The last one one looks to be a Buff Plymouth Rock. #3 is a Buff Orpington if it has white or pink legs, if their yellow, it is also a Buff Plymouth Rock.

Hmmm. How interesting. I actually like that we have a mix of birds. The black and white ones are beautiful. Thank you for all the responses!

Hmmm. How interesting. I actually like that we have a mix of birds. The black and white ones are beautiful. Thank you for all the responses!
You have a beautiful, colorful flock. It would be interesting to know where you got them from, though, that they were that misinformed. Did you get them as little fuzzballs?

You have a beautiful, colorful flock. It would be interesting to know where you got them from, though, that they were that misinformed. Did you get them as little fuzzballs?

Hello. I got them when they were only a few days old from a friends parents. They raise chickens for eggs and meat and I asked them if they could add 4 on to their yearly order so we could have a few. Will have to ask her about it when I see her. It may have been a misunderstanding on my part. I'm happy with what we have, so I'm not going to stress about it. They all get along and they are fun to watch and interact with. Thanks for your response!!

Back
Top Bottom