need more info on quail and chicken togeher

victor miller

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
piedmont, mo
ok I hatched 5 chicks and had them in with my baby quail before I found out you should not have them together. so should I kill all the quail? or are the safe to eat( when they get the right size) if they look ok. chickens are ok to eat? what should I do and how far should the chickens be from my quail?. thanks the guy that should of read more info before putting them together.

No don't kill them. People over emphasize this. It's just like people, you don't kill the lady at the grocery store for giving you the flu. Or your child's playmate because they have chicken pox and you are worried your child will get it. Chickens pass on sickness to each other and other birds. Other birds pass on sickness to chickens as well. You shouldn't eat a sick animal. But just like us they generally get over it and become healthy again. Many, many people keep quail and chickens together with no issues. Quail are just more susceptible to getting sick since they haven't been reared in captivity as long. They wouldn't normally be near other birds so their immune system doesn't have to deal with as much in the wild. Just keep them fed well, provide adequate shelter, clean water, security and sanitize their living area from time to time and you should have no troubles of sickness. If so no big deal most things will just work themselves out just as with people. Like people the young and old may have a tougher go at it but that's the nature of things.

Victor don't worry about it. It is unlikely to cause you any problems at this point but you should separate them. Chickens have a stronger immune system and can easily pass diseases they pick up along the way to quail. Most often you won't see symptoms of a disease in chickens at all, but that same disease will kill a quail.

It is impossible to over emphasize something that can be fatal to your entire flock of quail. Many diseases that quail can not handle, do not even bother chickens who have them. Chickens can have coryza or MG their entire lives and show no symptoms. Those same disease will kill quail if left untreated.

"If so no big deal most things will just work themselves out just as with people" This is not at all true. Entertits is the most common disease in quail and even if treated it's possible to reach a 100% mortality rate, untreated it guarantees 100% mortality. Coryza is the most common disease transmitted from chickens to quail, it is fatal if left untreated.

so If the quail get sick what do I treat them with? and where do I get it? if the quail look not sick are you still able to eat them? or should I just use them as breeders? thanks vic

99% chance they won't get sick. If they do, how you treat them matters to what they have. If you notice runny nose or eyes or swelling or anything else odd take some pictures come back and show us.

Back
Top Bottom