need nest box ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HSerChickLady, Feb 3, 2013.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I have a coop full of large hens who are in need of a set of nest boxes and then this weekend my nest boxes in my other coop broke and is not reparable. I am on a really tight budget and not able to build anything right now either. So i need some way to make next boxes for my girls that is more or less prefab. I have Golden Comets, Rocks, RIR's, Easter Eggers in the one coop and RIR's, Welsummer, Brahmas, Orpingtons, and Delawares in the other coop. The bigger girls are too big for buckets-already tried that.

2. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    i've seen boxes made out of 5 gallon buckets turned on their side.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    You could use something like storage crates or totes turned on their sides.

4. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I could probably try some buckets in the coop with the smaller girls in it. The big girls don't fit in the buckets. I've got 1 in there now and they can't even get in the thing. Maybe crates would work for them? How do you keep shavings in the crates though with the holes in the sides?

5. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    I read recently that inside you could simply use a cardboard box. Was kind of a da moment for me, why couldn't it work? Simple is often over looked.

6. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    I used my old rabbit hutch! I made a few changes to it, but otherwise it works perfect! Now obviously you might not have one and it might not fit in your chicken house depending on the size, but I thought I'd put what I use.

7. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Milk crates put on their side works great too!

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I would probably use hay/straw in the crates. That stays better than shavings with the holes. (My gals like nice fluffy hand towels in their nest boxes. I just wash them every few days. They stay clean because the girls don't roost in them.)

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Crates or 5 gallon buckets are fine. Dump those shavings, they are no good in a hens' nest, especially if you want to hatch eggs under a hen. Take a flat point shovel and dig up a layer of sod a little larger than the side of the crate or bucket. Put the sod grass side down in the side or bottom of the nest then add shavings or straw. Then put the whole thing on the ground.

Chickens when left to their own devises are ground nesting birds. The only reason to elevate a hens' nest is to make it easier for the farmer's wife to gather 100s or maybe even 1,000 of eggs per day. The above type nest and materials will satisfy all of a hens' nest requirements. Drill a few holes in the side of the 5 gallon bucket that will become the nest floor. This is to provide drainage and/or to allow moisture and humidity to percolate up during incubation. Hens feel vulnerable when laying or setting and they like to feel like they are hidden from prying eyes. I imagine that it is harder on a hen to lay one egg than it is on the chickens' owner to bend over to pick up a dozen eggs.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  10. GarthRyan

GarthRyan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    you could use a large plastic storage box with a lid. just cut a hole in one end the size of a sheet of notebook paper. approx. 8" wide by 11" tall. then you can just pop the lid off and collect the eggs. this is what i made the other day when two of my hens started laying and they've both laid in it since its been in the run. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by