Need new coop but am overwhelmed

nconley11

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
I bought a house 6 years ago... turned an existing 8x8 garden shed into a coop last minute 4 years ago. Didn’t know much at the time and made many mistakes! Currently the coop is infested with rats and about ready to fall over! Wanting to build a brand new coop in a new location and want to avoid mistakes and make this building last!
We have 5 hens currently but have had up to 20 so I’m thinking 8x10 or 10x12! I am also planning to use the coop as a barn for my 60# potbelly and 1 goat! The coop will be in a 40x80’ run/yard (honestly it’s probably much bigger) that all animals will share. I am in need or a design that will allow this multiuse option. I’m also very nervous about having rats in the new location so I’m conflicted on the flooring (gravel, plywood, cement, stilts/deck to get floor off the ground)

The only ideas I’ve come up with would be to put a door in on half of the long side. Windows in the door side short wall and opposite long wall. Then put a loft/platform on the other half of the door wall about 5’ off the groundso the chickens would have a platform of 6x5 area to hang out on while the pig and goat could house under the platform! I would put nest boxes up off the platform to give them more space too.

thoughts on my idea? better ideas? Advice? Any help with the coop design, floor and rat prevention would be extremely helpful!

It might be better to make one space for the chickens, with a door that chickens can go through but the pig and goat cannot. That space could have roosts, nestboxes, and chicken feed/water. Then have another space for the goat and pig. The chickens will of course go in there too, and will poop in the goat's hay, and so forth--but if the chickens get in the habit of roosting in their own space, then at least they'll do half their pooping in their space.

If you make two spaces, I would make each space have a door to the outside, and some windows, and I would put a door between those spaces as well (so you have the option to let them all have access to all of it.)

For doors, consider having the bottom of the door be several inches above the floor, with a separate board you can put in to block that space. That way, bedding will not get in the way of opening the door, and will not fall out when you open it. The board to fill the space does need to be removable, to make cleanout easier.

About the rats underneath, I think you could do well with either a concrete floor, or raising the building high enough that the chickens and pig can easily go underneath--I don't know if the pig or chickens will actually kill and eat rats, but at least they'll make the place seem less "safe" for rodents to hang out.

You may also want one more section of the coop, to store feed where the animals cannot get it.

It might be better to make one space for the chickens, with a door that chickens can go through but the pig and goat cannot. That space could have roosts, nestboxes, and chicken feed/water. Then have another space for the goat and pig. The chickens will of course go in there too, and will poop in the goat's hay, and so forth--but if the chickens get in the habit of roosting in their own space, then at least they'll do half their pooping in their space.

If you make two spaces, I would make each space have a door to the outside, and some windows, and I would put a door between those spaces as well (so you have the option to let them all have access to all of it.)

For doors, consider having the bottom of the door be several inches above the floor, with a separate board you can put in to block that space. That way, bedding will not get in the way of opening the door, and will not fall out when you open it. The board to fill the space does need to be removable, to make cleanout easier.

About the rats underneath, I think you could do well with either a concrete floor, or raising the building high enough that the chickens and pig can easily go underneath--I don't know if the pig or chickens will actually kill and eat rats, but at least they'll make the place seem less "safe" for rodents to hang out.

You may also want one more section of the coop, to store feed where the animals cannot get it.
Thanks for taking the time! All those suggestions are great! I’ll Look into this more! As of note the plan is to basically build a deck and put coop on that! W will have 1 access door but the chickens will have their little door with ramp to get to their area!! There will be roosting and nesting up there with poop boards! The plan is to tack sheet metal in the bottom side of the floor to help with rats! Having the pig and goat should help minimize any scrap food left over too!

Back
Top Bottom