need new system

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by echlfan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. echlfan

echlfan Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    OK i do not like my current watering system. (see on my page). The bowl gets so dusty I have to clean it each night. The 5 gallon bucket gets algae in it in 3 days. I want to be able to go camping over the weekend not worry too much about them. I do have a friend who can come check on them once or twice.

Anyone use these? http://www.waldeneffect.org/store/

2. echlfan

echlfan Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
  3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Don't forget that in the summer heat the water will get too hot for them to drink. The waterers should be changed at least twice a day in hot weather. Good Luck

4. echlfan

echlfan Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    Changed or filled? So basically if I don't get a auto waterer I am screwed at even leaving for a couple days?

BTW the waterers are in the shade under the patio.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Do you have a neighbor that will help out? Maybe know a kid in 4H or something. You may be fine with the waterer in the shade but i would worry. Good Luck

6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Don't forget 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water will benefit your chickens and keep waterers nice and clean. You can't use it in metal waterers though. Just a thought. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: