Need Nutritional Advice!

MEGTHEGREER

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2021
I would love some chicken nutrition help!!! I got 7 birds in March which consist of mainly silkies and a few silkie/cochin mixes. I have been giving them oyster shell, grit and a more natural bird feed and they free range a few hours a day. They have not touched the oyster/grit so I have been very hesitant to give any food other than feed crumbles. Today I noticed they had pale combs and my roo's comb was beginning to fold over. I gave him a punch of nutridrench and was astounded at the color that returned almost instantaneously!!! This leads me to believe there is a nutritional deficiency. Is there something else I should be giving them? I added some basic vitamins/electrolytes to water and even offered small bits of blackberries, lettuce and strawberries but they had zero interest in the food. I want to make sure they are getting the nutrients they need any suggestions are welcomed!!

Attachments

• 20210724_201813.jpg
    20210724_201813.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210724_191324.jpg
    20210724_191324.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210724-201628_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-201628_Chrome.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210724-202223_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-202223_Chrome.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi, If they free range or have access to dirt, they don't need grit at all, if you have roosters, don't feed layer feed and 16% protein is a little low, if you can find raiser/grower (%18-%20) or feather fixer with the oyster shell on the side. I use wild bird feed as scratch too, but don't feed it to them for a few days so they eat their real food. If you can find the vitamins without electrolytes, you can give them a separate waterer with that.

Hi, If they free range or have access to dirt, they don't need grit at all, if you have roosters, don't feed layer feed and 16% protein is a little low, if you can find raiser/grower (%18-%20) or feather fixer with the oyster shell on the side. I use wild bird feed as scratch too, but don't feed it to them for a few days so they eat their real food. If you can find the vitamins without electrolytes, you can give them a separate waterer with that.
Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I believe we have 2 roosters (1 for sure) that plan on being rehomed next week. Would you still suggest the same feed for hens? "raiser/grower (%18-%20) or feather fixer" I currently have Hydrohen, B-12 alone, and "Rooster Booster"- Vitamins & Electrolytes with Latin Bacillus. The rooster booster was added to the waterer today.

I'm assuming you are in the US, so it could just be the heat right now. It really takes a toll on them. Lots of clean, cool water is key.

Those are good feeds, but if you got them as chicks in March, they may need more protein to keep growing, something in the 18-20% range. Are the hens laying eggs yet? They only need oyster shell as a calcium supplement after they start laying. If they don't need it, they won't eat it. As for grit, it's insoluble, meaning it sticks around a while in the gizzard, so they don't need to eat it constantly - and they may be able to find what they need when ranging. Both should be offered in separate dishes, on the side, not mixed with their feed.

Anytime you think there's a nutritional issue, you should cut everything out but their feed. It provides all the nutrition they need, the other stuff is just candy. If you want to try enticing them to eat more feed, try offering a wet mash - just add water to the feed, let it soak in for a few minutes, then serve. Might have to adjust the water content to find the consistency they like.

What exactly do you mean by 'a more natural bird feed?'
Are you currently feeding the feeds you have pictured or something else?

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I believe we have 2 roosters (1 for sure) that plan on being rehomed next week. Would you still suggest the same feed for hens? "raiser/grower (%18-%20) or feather fixer" I currently have Hydrohen, B-12 alone, and "Rooster Booster"- Vitamins & Electrolytes with Latin Bacillus. The rooster booster was added to the waterer today.
This is a good diet for both roosters and hens

Back
Top Bottom