Need of Grit

judygood46

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
You all have helped me so very much so far and I thank all of you. Do you need to give chickens grit if you are giving them crumble. Don't they get grit from dirt. Back in the day they did not have special grit to give. Also in winter do I need to shovel there run and if so down to dirt? Thank you

If your chickens are on real, natural dirt, then no they don't need extra grit. So many people raise their chickens on wood, shavings, pea gravel, etc - that is when extra grit needs to be given because the chickens can't get any grit from surfaces like that.

About shoveling in winter, are you asking about removing the snow? That just depends on your chickens. Some refuse to walk in snow, some don't care, some walk in a bit of snow but not a lot. Just wait and see.

That's a great question. I was wondering that myself. My 4 girls are in a dirt floor coop/run that I sparsely cover with shavings to help keep it clean. I clean out the shavings once a week and add fresh. They also have a sand/dirt bath pan in there that I am pretty sure they eat as well.

Are they good without grit?

Chickens do need grit to help grind up their food (especially if they are free-range or have access to food other than straight chicken feed). My hens free-range and are able to get grit from a large gravel driveway. When my hens were pullets and were kept in the run more, I scattered gravel in the run and also occasionally mixed store-bought grit in their feed.

i am raising broilers in the winter, do I need to give them grit? will they die if I dont? what is the cheapest grit, can I just put black dirt in there pen? they will be 1 day old-6,7 weeks.

Evangelina: If all they are eating is milled feed, mash, crumbles or pellets then no. If they are getting other food then yes.

whats the cheapest grit/ resourceful grits etc. dirt, gravel? I will be feeding the cracked corn and cabbage as extras

Back
Top Bottom