Need one last Gender

jen61871

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
Can I get the Gender on this little guy or gal?

Attachments

• IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6073.JPG
    IMG_6073.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 12

RhodeRunner

Songster
11 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Ashtabula, Ohio
With barred and cuckoo birds, you can sex them by their color. The females have larger black bars, and darker shanks, giving them a general darker appearance. The males have larger white bars, yellower shanks, which gives them a general lighter appearance. Based on color sexing, you have a pullet. Color sexing isn't always right with barred/cuckoo crosses, but generally that is the way this color goes.

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
5 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
Very true, I didn't quite right what I was thinking. I was looking more at the comb and legs since the coloring didn't seem standard. Though I would like to say that hatcheries these days aren't keeping to standards and I know a few members in here who have gotten pullets that had cockerel colored barring but still turned out to be hens, @speckledhen has a perfect example.

Last edited:

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Very true, I didn't quite right what I was thinking. I was looking more at the comb and legs since the coloring did seem standard. Though I would like to say that hatcheries these days aren't keeping to standards and I know a few members in here who have gotten pullets that had cockerel colored barring but still turned out to be hens, @speckledhen has a perfect example.
yup, my very first BR was cockerel colored so everyone on BYC thought she was a he for weeks and weeks, until her comb stayed small at 12 weeks. That is the exception to the rule.

That bird can't be sexed like a normal barred bird because it's a cross.

Top Bottom