Need one last Gender

jen61871

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
Can I get the Gender on this little guy or gal?

Attachments

• IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6073.JPG
    IMG_6073.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 12
With barred and cuckoo birds, you can sex them by their color. The females have larger black bars, and darker shanks, giving them a general darker appearance. The males have larger white bars, yellower shanks, which gives them a general lighter appearance. Based on color sexing, you have a pullet. Color sexing isn't always right with barred/cuckoo crosses, but generally that is the way this color goes.

Very true, I didn't quite right what I was thinking. I was looking more at the comb and legs since the coloring didn't seem standard. Though I would like to say that hatcheries these days aren't keeping to standards and I know a few members in here who have gotten pullets that had cockerel colored barring but still turned out to be hens, @speckledhen has a perfect example.

Last edited:
Very true, I didn't quite right what I was thinking. I was looking more at the comb and legs since the coloring did seem standard. Though I would like to say that hatcheries these days aren't keeping to standards and I know a few members in here who have gotten pullets that had cockerel colored barring but still turned out to be hens, @speckledhen has a perfect example.
yup, my very first BR was cockerel colored so everyone on BYC thought she was a he for weeks and weeks, until her comb stayed small at 12 weeks. That is the exception to the rule.

That bird can't be sexed like a normal barred bird because it's a cross.

Back
Top Bottom