Need Opinions on Breeds- adding to my flock

Xival Knievel

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Austin, Texas
Hey everyone, I am mostly decided on what I would like to get this year but I would appreciate some opinions. Just to fill you in- my current flock of year old hens consists of: 2 Golden Sex Links, 1 white EE (pink eggs), 1 Speckled Sussex.

I can add 4 more layer hens this year. Priorities are: number of eggs, flock diversity, and I appreciate docile and affectionate birds. More diverse egg colors are also pretty cool but not so high up on my list. I am pretty decided on three of them- 2 Black Sex Links, and a Buff Orpington.

The last one is where I'm stuck. I can't decide between a Barred Plymouth Rock or a Welsummer. I wish I could have both but not enough room at this time. Please offer you're opinion on which one for my flock and why, especially those of you who are blessed enough to own these breeds.

I think you should get a Brown Leghorn, they are a little flighty but if you work with it, it should calm down, and they are pretty, and they are just as good as a layer as a White Leghorn.

Sorry, not much help... both my barred rocks and my Welsummer lay consistently, are quiet, docile birds, and just sweet all around.
smile.png

Thank you both!
big_smile.png

I had narrowed down to those breeds from the selection that my local feed store will be having, so although the brown leghorns look nice they won't really be an option for me.

I'd still really like to hear more from owners of Welsummers and Barred Rocks.

I have a grown pair of Welsummers and a juvenile pullet. The hen and the pulllett are both gentle but I have to carry a BIG stick in with me to feed because of the rooster. He even tries to fight me through the fence when I am in the next run. While my hen lays pretty eggs she is just not very prolific. Usually about three eggs a week. I am really trying to decide whether I want to keep that breed or not.

I second the Barred Rock and I would also like to suggest a Black Australorp
big_smile.png
Mine is very loveable and she is big and fluffy. I'm not sure if she is laying yet, I can't tell. I am getting three eggs a day but I dont' know if she is laying any of them.

My barred rock was the friendliest and gave me the most eggs of my three. I don't have experience with Welsummer (sorry), but my australorp was also very very friendly. Hawk got her before she started laying, but I hear they are great layers. I got all mine from a feed store.

Back
Top Bottom