need opinions on dewormer

920utlaw

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Chicago
What's the best overall dewormer for bantams? I also have to deworm my pigeons. I have not dewormed anything in over a year. The stuff I used last time was a piprazine dog wormer in the water. All opinions appreciated!

I have safeguard that I use for my dogs. Its meant for goats. Can I use that, and if so what's the dogage?

John, I haven't seen any worms in their poop but that's usually when its too late isn't it? I usually deworm my pigeons right before the breeding season and I didn't do it this year. I noticed a significant differnce in the size of the youngsters. They are much smaller. I have a pullet that's a little underweight but she eats and acts like a healthy bird. I think its worms...? Any thoughts on this?

John, I haven't seen any worms in their poop but that's usually when its too late isn't it? I usually deworm my pigeons right before the breeding season and I didn't do it this year. I noticed a significant differnce in the size of the youngsters. They are much smaller. I have a pullet that's a little underweight but she eats and acts like a healthy bird. I think its worms...? Any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure of the ingredients of Safeguard.
I used valbazen (albendazole) once a year. It's a cattle and sheep wormer used off label. It's also something that is commonly prescribed for humans with worms.
You have to discard eggs for two weeks (to be on the safe side). It's given orally, undiluted. 1/2 cc for standard chickens, 1/4 cc for bantams. I couldn't even begin to guess the dosage for pigeons, sorry.

The safeguard I have is for goats. Its fenbendazole. As for the pigeons, dewormer is normally added to the drinking water to treat the whole flock at once.
Thanks for the info.

this is what i use

http://www.animalmedicationdirect.co.uk/flubenvet-1-small-flock-poultry-wormer-60g-pr-5789.html

the brand name is slightly different here so might be in the US too?? it's a powder that is mixed with layer mash and fed to them over a seven day period. a major advantage is that there's no withholding period for the eggs. the place i get it from recommends worming them every three months but they do also sell it of course
wink.png
first time i wormed with this they had visible signs of worms and it cleared it up a treat.

Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it red. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat receptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms............Pop

Back
Top Bottom