Need Opinions on Different Chicken Breeds for Hot Chandler, Arizona Climate

DoveStar

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Hello,

I already have a flock of 7 chickens, and am getting some more chicks to hand-raise. I buy chickens based on their personalities, not their egg-laying abilities. I want a friendly flock with lots of variety! :) Right now, all 7 of my chickens know their individual names, and come running when you call them :love

I have 1 Orpington, 1 Austrolorp, 1 Silkie, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Red Sex-Linked, and 1 Rhode Island Red. I am planning on getting an Easter Egger chick and one other breed of chick, but I can't decide on which breed.

I really would like to have a Cochin, but I live in Chandler, Arizona. The highs here are around 115, so it is boiling hot!! I have misters and fans set up for them, two different shade structures plus their ventilated coop, and they live in a shaded area under a huge sissoo tree. But it still can get kind of hot under there, so I'm worried the Cochin might have trouble living in the heat.

How do they do in the heat? Because I know Silkies look like they would hate the heat, but mine is the coolest of the flock. :)

Thanks,
Amber

P.S. If you have any other heat-hardy, human-friendly breeds you recommend, feel free to shout them out! :D

Last edited:
Just about any Mediterranean breed would be a good choice. Ancona, Andalusian, Minorca, Buttercup, White-faced Spanish, Campines, Hamburg, or Lakenvelder. Lots of pretty choices.

Not sure about the rest of the birds junebuggena listed, but I have a campine and while she is gorgeous, she is the most skittish bird I have and refuses to come anywhere near me =/ IMO not a good choice for a friendly flock

Isa Brown chickens are an all around great chicken. Very sweet (I have 11 hens) lovin birds. They do great in all kinds of weather & are great egg layers (300 eggs per yr). I love my Isa browns.

Back
Top Bottom