1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CK Chickadilly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hi
    I got an email & Ideal has a Bantam special going on right now. If I order the "special" will I be more apt to get roos?

Any ideas? I suppose I would have a 50-50 shot but has anyone taken advantage of their specials & what did you get out of it?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    if it is straight run, will probbably be 50/50 roos to girls.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Ideal told me that they don't sex bantams because they are to small, that they only do straight run. So you should get about 1/2 girls and 1/2 boys. Theoretically, of course...

4. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    We got one of their variety packs of bantams, 50 of them. We got a lot of roos.
    Some of them, you can tell instantly if they are roos.
    I fixed them a bowl of sugar water, there was one that everytime I stuck my finger in the bowl to stir it up some, he'd come up to my finger and drink the drips off... two weeks later, he's chest bumping with the other 3 I keep track of. lol

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hmmmm, maybe it would be better getting hatching eggs [​IMG]

I really don't need or want any more roos. I know I will get some but my luck I'd get the majority of roos & around here, no one wants any of them.....you can't even give them away [​IMG]

Thanks for the responses! [​IMG]

6. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Or you could find someone who already has chicks, go through thiers, pretend you dont know the difference, and grab the pullets!!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you are looking to NOT get roo's then you should stick with ordering sexed chicks. You may still get roos as "paxking peanuts" though. I have purchase all mine through our local feed store and not one roo yet. I am pleased!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by