Need pic of a perfect rose comb

Jetlander

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I will be culling about 25 SLW roosters and keeping 2 for my flock continuation. Basically, I'm looking at all aspects of confirmation in the roosters to make my decision on which two to keep. I need pictures of a rose comb which is as close to show standard as possible. All help would be appreciated.

If you are breeding to the breed standard I would get a Standard of Perfection and that way you can see what the standard calls for in a SLW... A good rose comb will look differant from breed to breed..
Wyandottes Comb Should Be...
Rose; low, firm on the head; top, free from hollow center, oval surface covered with smallround points; tapering to a well-defined point at the rear; the entire comb curving to conform to the shape of the skull...
If I was you I work on the work on the back, breast, condition and vigor, and body and fluff.. From what I seen a lot of Wyandottes have to flat of back and breast...
I would like to see a picture of what you have to work with..

Chris

Last edited:
I'm not breeding for show. I was just trying to keep my line as close to possible to what would be considered breed standard. I have 25 roosters to choose from and I'm just trying to pick the best, nothing more, nothing less. The 5-6 roosters I think are the best, all have body's which are very close to one another, but all have slight variations on their combs, so I'm trying to narrow them down. If I get a good pic it would be a massive help.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think people are confused as to show and standards? Show birds are bred towards the standards set forth for their breed. So, theoretically, you are selecting for birds which conform to the standard...and are also selecting for birds that would 'hopefully' eventually produce birds that could be shown. If you continue to select birds that look more and more like the standard, you would be able to go to shows and set your birds against other breeders who are doing a similar thing.

In other words...exhibition/show birds are selected to adhere to the standard.

Well that was long-winded wasn't it?

What I meant was, that I have absolutely no interest in showing my birds. However, I would like to keep my breeding line as close to the breed standard as possible. Mainly, I am going to try and refine my flock over several years. Just for kicks, and nothing more. I may invest in a few show quality birds to help the process along, but have no hard plans yet.

I think the big thing, is that while comb is important...the overall conformation is the key. If you can find a bird that closely matches this male, you're good to go:
wyandotte_silver001.103213149.jpg

Comb plays a part...just not as large a one as the overall body type and "flow". The comb of a Wyandotte should fit closely to the head, yet be fleshy. It should follow the curvature of the head...not go pointing out into the sky.

Thanks for the picture of the SLW. It is a big help. So would you happen to know when I could expect the full plumage to fill in? All of my birds are 4 months old. Have 4 roosters picked out that seem to be the best overall confirmation to the breed standard. However, they have not 'filled out' yet. I figured it would be at least a year for the feathers to reach peak, if not until after their first molt.

Back
Top Bottom