need pics of Coturnix quail around 4 weeks old please

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I have around 18 Coturnix that are 4 weeks old and I need help sexing them

most of these babies are going to live at the zoo but I plan on keeping 1 male and 3 females from them.

I also have 1 that has a sever bent neck has been this way since birth and is doing fairly fine considering its neck issue

I also have one baby that is a mini Coturnix - at least half the size of everyone else - but surprising he/she is also doing great.

I dont plan on breeding my 2 misfits but they will stay here with us as house pets

I can try to post pics of my quail but they are mostly all the same and kinda hard to tell them apart.

I have 1 that is making a LOUD noise that sounds like someone stepping on a cat LOL - would this be a male trying to " crow " ?

thanks for any help you can give me

Julie

if they are browns then I and many others will be able to sex them for you via pictures so yeppers take pictures and we will be able to tell you
smile.png

yes that is the roos crow have you checked out my educational post at the top of this forum on the stickied post? It shows pictures from browns at 3 1/2 weeks old to adults.

plus i have a vid on there of one of my roos crowing

heres the link to the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

Last edited:
Stepping on a cat, that's a good one!! I would say that is probably one crowing. A 4 w/o looks just like an adult, only smaller. If yours are jumbos, the half pint one is probably a normal sized one, they are about half as big. But pics of yours would be great, you will be bombarded with people telling you the sexes!!

ETA: If they are normal browns, regardless of their size, at 4 weeks you should be able to tell the sex by their breast feathers. Males have a reddish colored breast, and females have a tan color with black spots. So look at the breasts of your birds, pick two that look different, and compare them. You should be able to tell this way. I believe the goldens can be sexed the same way
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with goldens.
sad.png
Every time I have hatched some that should have had goldens in them, I have not gotten any
hit.gif

You would think tibetans would have some way of telling, since they have colored breasts? They don't??

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with goldens.
sad.png
Every time I have hatched some that should have had goldens in them, I have not gotten any
hit.gif

You would think tibetans would have some way of telling, since they have colored breasts? They don't??

tibes just have that over all same color from back to front, dark to light varies from bird to bird. Sadly ya can't tell. However one breeder suggested that the roos have black beaks where as the hens just have dull colored beaks, I dont go by this but it seems to be semi true.
idunno.gif

Ooh! That reminds me! I need to check my tux's and see if the pink legged one is the only boy! That would be neat if I could crack the code
tongue.png

Quote:
yes it would be and im being lazy on my end here i said i'd compair mine for that... i need to. Its supposed to rain like crazy tomorrow so i probably wont get to tomorrow but hopefully here soon i'll remember. I only have two youngers inside, i can vent sex them first and then check their legs atleast but i'd rather do all my tuxedos at once and get a ratio goin LOL!

yea mine are mostly browns - I have one white one with a black dote on its head - and then there are a few that are a really dark color - and my little bent neck chick is a creamy color

I will post pics of them tomorrow - I really have no clue with these guys - my buttons are so much easier to sex LOL

will the crowing get better ? I dont mind the noise thats not a problem I was wondering if it will stop sounding like I am killing cats in my spare room LOL

I was very worried when that little mini coturnix hatched - but it is nice to know that it is possibly normal - thats a relief !!

ok be perpared for LOTS of pics tomorrow LOL

Quote:
The white one sounds like a Texas A&M, you won't be able to tell with that one unless you vent sex, or wait for it to lay an egg (or not
tongue.png
). The creamy one sounds like it is probably a golden. Can't wait for the pics!!
big_smile.png

Oh, and the dark ones are probably tibetans. Tibetans are a dark chocolate color usually, with little black specs on them. Kind of like a blueface button, if you know what those look like.
smile.png
Hopefully, your A&M is a boy, and your tibetans are girls. Those two colors are the 'ingredients' for tuxedos.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom