Need pictures of Barred Rock Hens/Pullets please....

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
We aquired Boots a couple weeks ago from a gal, and she said that Boots was a pullet. But after looking at her for a while now, she looks OLD! She's blind in one eye, which doesn't mean anything, but still. Also, her comb and wattles are a dull pink, kinda dried up looking, and she doesn't look so young anymore.

Can ya'll please post some pictures of your BR girls for us to see what she should look like, please?! And if you have a really old girl, we would love to see her picture too, just in case we got jipped.

boots2.jpg

bootsupcloseandpersonal.jpg

Thanks!
~Caran

Are her legs bright yellow or very dull and faded? Was she supposed to be laying already? She seems a bit "used", but could be a health issue rather than age. Hope you quarantined her away from other birds, just in case.

I looked at her legs and they are about the same color as our Gold Lace Wyandotte who is about six months old. Boots (BR) legs are yellow with black coloring on the top.
She is behaving normally other than the rough way she looks in her face. Dont see any other behavior that would indicate an issue with her health. I watch all the girls very closely for anything unusual. (Although I do not have experience with a bird with health issues in the first place). She was quarantined at first but is with our 5 other girls now.

Here are my two girls. They are about 17-18wks and not yet laying.

Hermione:
DSCF0006.jpg

Ginny:
DSCF0017-1-1.jpg

Both together; Hermione on the left, Ginny on the right:
DSCF0021.jpg

One day after posting this, Hermione laid her first egg! Yay!

Last edited:
I have one who is 13 weeks old I can take a picture tomorrow for you she is sleeping now
wink.png
I will post it tomorrow. Your does look old...maybe she had a really stressful year. Does she have bugs at all under the wings or above the vent area? That can make her comb look dull if she IS older.

I will check her for bugs tomorrow. We havent given her a close look over since we got her. She is really a sweet hen and even if she is old and doesnt lay anymore that is cool with us.

Here's my girls. Their about 2 years old now. Had that bird suffered any illness recently? Other wise i can't think why she'd look so old.
Picture010.jpg

Picture030.jpg

I have no idea.
We got her from a gal who had an indoor coop in her barn and it seemed to the wife and I she just had too many birds in there. There was from what she said a lot of feather picking from other birds, maybe the rooster. When we got her basically she just grabbed Boots and said " here take this one". We didnt notice the eye issue at the time and she was missing some feathers in front of her tail.

BTW you guys have some beautiful BRs!

Back
Top Bottom