Need Processing Lesson: NC

JadedPhoenix

Songster
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Tyro-Lexington, NC
I've been keeping chickens for several years but there is one thing that I haven't been able to do yet. Process one of my chickens for the freezer. The reason being, I have to DO something to learn it. I have looked on-line until my eyes have bled but I don't feel like I can do it based on just what I see on the computer. For one thing, I can't take my computer outside to wherever I'll be doing the deed. Another, you really can't get a picture to adequately show what you need to find by feel, if that makes sense.

I've had several people through the years to say that they'd help but they never quite full filled that promise. I'd like to learn still though. I've had to kill a few chickens over the years for various reasons but since I didn't know this one thing, those birds' deaths were for nothing.

So, is there anyone in the Davidson County area of NC that would be willing to help me learn? Maybe there are others in the surrounding counties who have this same issue. I know I have at least one other friend who has been looking for someone to help for a while as well.

I hope you can find someone in your area. We only had to cull one meal ole' rooster and I used the online method. It had pictures for each step. I could look it up and share if you'd like. One thing for sure is to boil a big pot of water. After you cull them you can dunk them in it and it makes for easy feather plucking.

The actual cutting of the insides out is what pictures have never helped me with. I always end up tainting the meat. I'm just one of those people that NEED to do something to learn it. I ended up flunking with on-line college classes for the same reasons. I need to actually have a person in front of me to learn. I've read HUNDREDS of blogs with graphic pics but most of what I need is IN the bird.

Back
Top Bottom