need quail cage designs!

I have had mine on wire. They do not like it. Over the winter they have been on deeplitter in my greenhouse. It produces heat and they are loving the freedom and flight room. It is fabric so they do not get hurt. I have decided to build a bin like coop along the side of my shed. It will open at the top. I will have a bird net under the lid to prevent them feom flushing out when I open it. There will be removable walls to seperate for selective breeding. It will have wire panels in the front for light and a view. These will be partially covered in the winter. My birds LOVE kitchen scraps so they will be producing my deep litter year round. My husband has no idea what I am saving wood for so shhhhh.

Last edited:
Yeah i am gonna have to rethink my pens . I came home from work with one dead female and two male valley quail in the bottom of the pen. I suspect a tree rat aka squrriel spooked them trying to get in the cage for food . One male died later on and the other sometime last night. My pen are maybe 32 inches on the high side sloping down.

I also saw were they had cut their beaks at the base and had to have been on the 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

My coturnix are raised insidw with cats dogs and about a dozen kids all around. It takes really scary stuff to flush them. My bin idea will only be open at the top of the front wall. They will have a very secure feeling. I have noticed that when loose in my yard they hug the fence. I think seeing to much ovet stimulates them.

My coturnix are raised insidw with cats dogs and about a dozen kids all around. It takes really scary stuff to flush them. My bin idea will only be open at the top of the front wall. They will have a very secure feeling. I have noticed that when loose in my yard they hug the fence. I think seeing to much ovet stimulates them.

I think cots. are not as spooky as alot of your new world quail. When i get some hatchlings i am gonna try to tame them to a point. I know people say you can't or good luck. I am a determined person when i really want something which is quail not to be so spooky. Wish me luck lol.

Back
Top Bottom