Need quick advice please!

halfbakedtulip

In the Brooder
6 Years
So without going into it all I will have a small banty hen in the next hour or so. We had talked of having chickens for quite awhile and were in the planning stages when this situation occurred. We do not have a coop. we have nothing infact because it was all so unexpected. To make this more crazy my husband had to leave for work and won't be home till tomorrow evening. My question is (and yes I know this sounds crazy!) I have a small/medium sized plastic dog crate. Can I keep her in this for the next 24 hours? She is quite small. I really don't know what else I could safely keep her in until hubby gets home and can put his handy tool man skills to use. If so...what would be suitable for the bottom of it to keep her warm and happy...hay, straw, shredded newspaper? This is an emergency abandonment situation or I would never be in this situation. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

If it's just for a night I think that would be fine:) When my mom rescued a chicken that fell from a Tyson truck, we kept it in a large dog crate so she could heal and feel comfortable. I think we might have used an old towel to give her steady footing since her leg was broken, but they'd probably like hay better:) Good luck, you should post pictures!! I'm sure she'll be adorable!
smile.png

I have a not quite right hen in my living room right now in a dog crate, she's not the first
wink.png
I do let them out for a while various times of the day to stretch their legs/wings and explore a bit. You most certainly can use the crate, I put wood shavings on the bottom with a little "bed" of hay in the back.

Ciqala ... thank you! I know she has had a tramautic day already...her whole flock was captured and taken. She wasn't because she and I quote "isn't big enough to be worth killing" So they left her there. The owners have already moved without a care. She is in an open fenced area and is apparently just huddling in a corner. I figure a dog kennel has to be better than nothing!

Oh goodness!! Poor little thing. It sounds like she may appreciate the dog crate for the night. We have used a dog crate for sick ones with hay in the bottom, seems to work OK. People who abandon animals of any kind...well, I don't care for them, and I'll leave it at that!
smile.png
Good luck with her, and pictures would be great!! I love chicken pics!

It was really lucky of her! We named her Camilla after the Muppet's main chicken:) She was very sweet and even came in for show and tell to my school (I was in third grade) and patiently sat in my mom's lap as the kids took turns petting her. We gave her to people we knew who had a nice big farm and she "flew" for the first time. It wasn't pretty but she did it!
wink.png
She very shortly after was eaten by a fox, but I am glad she was comfortable and happy for the last couple months of her life.

Back
Top Bottom