Need quick help - chicks with bloody poop, on medicated feed - can I give Corid?

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
Poultry DVM site says not to give corid to chicks on medicated feed.

I have 4 and 6 week old chicks with stringy mucous blood in their poop.

Stop medicated feed and start Corid?

Dose is 2ml in a gallon of water?

What’s the prevention dose for my adult hens?

Yes, I would start corridors. Medicated feed doesn't prevent coccidia wich is an internal parasite, which is what cord treats. As for the prevention dose, it should say on the container somewhere.

Can you please post some photos of the chicks, their poop and housing?

You can treat with Corid when using medicated feed.

Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons or Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

The dose is the same regardless of the age of the chickens.

Yes, I would start corridors. Medicated feed doesn't prevent coccidia wich is an internal parasite, which is what cord treats. As for the prevention dose, it should say on the container somewhere.
The container/package of Corid is labeled for cattle and does not have instructions for dosing chickens.

Can you please post some photos of the chicks, their poop and housing?

You can treat with Corid when using medicated feed.

Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons or Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

The dose is the same regardless of the age of the chickens.

The container/package of Corid is labeled for cattle and does not have instructions for dosing chickens.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that XD

@Wyorp Rock

I already cleaned their crates and tossed the poop. I will get another pic as soon as I can along with their brooders.

They are in the big chicken coop in XL crates with pine bedding. I have them in separate crates but side by side - the 6 week olds together and the (almost) 4 week olds together. The 6 week olds have been going outside for a couple weeks. The others haven’t been outside in the dirt yet, just the coop and crate. They have all been playing together a couple times so they’re equally exposed.

I do have 8 adult hens who have had no physical contact with them but have been in the same coop and run.

This morning, I found stringy, bloody poop in both crates. And the younger ones had a couple spots of the same poop when playing this morning.
The younger group is acting like they don’t feel well.
The older ones are acting normal.

I put Corid in their water this morning - as their only source of drinking water. And I gave a drench dose to the younger four.

36BD3E6A-C0E0-420C-B816-6C99A37933E8.jpeg

Good call on the drench. I followed this link below with with 5weeks olds and they are now laying and healthy. Corid really works as long as you do it right.

Correct dosing for Corid is 1.5 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water, make sure it's the only water they have access to, and make fresh daily.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Poop looks better this morning. Some reddish, but not the bright red, stringy from the last two mornings.
I had one chick that spent all of yesterday puffed up and sleeping standing up. She’s moving around this morning, eating and drinking, and scratching some.
I gave her another drench dose,
The others are all behaving normally.

Back
Top Bottom