Need quick nest box help

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Sorry to keep asking questions, but I am trying to get started. I have an opening 12 inches high by 38 inches across. I was thinking 3 boxes. Now I do have a header and footer 2 inches above/below the 12 inch cut. My question is will the chickens step over a footer board and then the inches across the front to keep the hay in?
In my original plan I wanted the box bottom to be below the lip so the wall would act as part of the barrier. But now that I'm looking at it, will they go inside there?

Here's the best I can do for a pic. You can see the opening and where the 2x4's are that I would have to attach the box to. That would leave a 2 inch lip they would have to step into, which I get they step over the lip to stop the hay normally, but will they step on that 2x4 to get to the boxes also?

011.jpg

Here are some pics of mine in the building process, maybe it will help you.

82702_nest_boxes.jpg

82702_roof.jpg

82702_window.jpg

82702_back_wall.jpg

82702_nest_box_hinge.jpg

82702_painted_nest_box.jpg

82702_nest_box.jpg

I have 4 boxes for 6 hens and that is too many so I use one of them for a water bowl and that keeps water from getting on the floor. I have it sitting on a garden stone.

82702_dsc_0148.jpg

Quote:
I would suggest footer of 4 or inches. The chickens often kick the stuffing around and 2 inches is not enough to limit the spill.

Yep, thats what I ended up doing. I cut off the bottom lip so its flush with the 2x4. Screwed 2 more on the sides to make a frame and am then assembling it like dbounds where I put the sides into the 2x4s that I just added. I will just have to add an extra lip, that turned out to be the easier way. Although how I got the whole thing built to start with is half a miracle cuz today I can't even cut 1 piece of plywood right. Although maybe its because the size is alot smaller now. Pics coming soon.
And its also a lot further along that in that pic. The roof is on and its been painted, etc.

I don't know if anyone is intersted, but the box is finished. I just need to put the latch on, and dividers in and the lip in front, but its done enough for now. Especially cuz I'm fairly certain we only have 2 roosters, so it may be a complete moot point entirely.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom