Need quiet chicken breeds

Not sure if you have seen my other posts elsewhere but here is my story...

I bought 3 Red Stars and 3 EE'ers from mypetchicken.com 2 years ago this month. Once they started laying 2 EE'ers were so noisy I gave them away. The other 4 chickens were very quiet. Of course they'd chatter a little especially Twinkie. She's the one that knocks on the patio door for treats before I got a fence up. Anyway, the 3rd EE'er died for no apparent reason in the 110F heat last summer (she's supposed to be heat tolerant) and well Henley, one of the Red Stars would holler all day trying to find Lily. I guess they were buds or something. Well I found Henley a home because it was starting to annoy even me and we are city dwellers with fines for noise levels (same as dogs barking). A couple weeks after Henley left, Penny started hollering every time Twinkie would be sitting on the nest. It was driving me nuts so I gave Twinks and Penny to the same lady that took Henley so the sisters are all back together. They aren't making much noise over there but it's weird that they were doing it here. In the meantime I bought 2 Australorps and 4 Golden Buffs here locally thinking that they might be quiet breeds too. NOPE! Ok so, Aussies chatter a lot. It's not loud but it's alot. The Goldens would chatter some but were relatively quiet. When Ginger started laying, she was super noisy for about an hour. My Stars NEVER cackled after laying or before or during. They just went nuts when they couldn't find the other chickens. Crazy right? Anyway, BeeBee, an Aussie started laying and she was hollering for an hour before actually getting on the nest. Once she was there and laying, she was back to quiet. But this one day 3 or 4 of the chickens were all hollering at once for 2 hours!!! I was so mad I gave all 6 of them away with the coop determined to never get more chickens. But I sure do miss my Aussies! They were so beautiful. Just don't miss the racket! My mom told me to buy Rhode Island Red bantams because even when they cackle it's not loud. I'm told they are loud by other people but I don't know. So I am going to try the bantams. If they don't work out I may buy more Red Stars from mypetchicken (has low minimum depending on zip code), but if anyone wants to buy Stars be sure to get more then 2 because they don't like being lonely even for a few minutes! haha

Carla
Clovis, CA

Easter Eggers can make a lot of noise! I have two bantams and when they want to, they can be incredibly loud.

I'm sure this thread has been long dead, but in my search for "quiet roosters" I came upon this thread and figured I'd add my two cents since our flock is pretty diverse.

We had 2 RIRs- had to give one away because she was REALLY loud. The other one has started being loud now, too, but not as bad. 1 Dominique-she's pretty loud too. Debating on whether or not to turn her into dinner. 2 Golden Sexlinks- one makes a quiet little crooing noise, almost like she's singing. The other is silent. 1 Australorp- Only makes noise when she's laying, and even then its rare and very quiet. 1 White Bramaha- Complete silence. 1 Buff Orpington- Complete silence. 1 Gold laced Wyandotte- Silent. 3 Ameraucanas- silent, unless you try to catch one, then they make a racket.

We probably won't get another RIR or Dominique. In the future we will probably go with more Goldens, Australorps, and Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom