Need quiet chicken breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CinnamonQueen, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I am looking at quiet chicken breeds to add to my urban flock. I need some opinions on what breed is the quietest (assuming it isn't a rooster). By "quiet", I mean VERY QUIET EGG SONG too! Bonus for good egg production.[​IMG] Or, if you know how to get my RIR's to shut up while laying eggs, please tell me!
    Thanks in advance!

1 person likes this.
  2. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    My RIR's & Buff Orpington's are chatter boxes. Have a few Wyandottes and they are eerily quiet as is the rooster - he has not crowed so far.

1 person likes this.
  3. HippieHomesteader

HippieHomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Stuart, VA
    My buff orps sing an egg song you can hear down the street, but my light brahmas are much quieter. They also don't seem as skiddish. I have SLW that are quiet, but they aren't laying yet.

4. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    What about Australorps? Do they sing a loud egg song? I am considering getting them.
    Thanks HippieHomesteader and Chicken Happy by the way. will look at wyandottes and brahmas

5. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Barred Rocks, Welsummers, EEs and Australorps. Of these four breeds the EEs and the
    Australorps are the quietest. I've never heard my EEs do the egg song at all and the Australorps have a much lower volume one than the BRs and Wellies.

If you've never had Australorps I would vote for you to try a few of those pullets. IMHO, most
    hens are not that gorgeous - at least in the head/face area - but Australorps are an exception
    as they have the prettiest expressive and open faces with large dark brown eyes and lots of
    red on their faces. They are also very calm and even allow me to pet them ( begrudgingly but
    they do allow it ) whereas my other birds 'run screaming' whenever I try to touch them.

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    So far the quietest birds I have are my silkies. My Buff Orps, Javas, and Delaware love to sing along to everyone else's egg song, so it gets pretty noisey from about 7-10am. LOL

7. Dirt Farmer

Dirt Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Northern CA
    My barnevelders were relatively quiet. They laid a very large egg, and frequently when laying, but had a tendency for the whole group going broody together and not laying at all.

8. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    My black australorps are very quiet and docile, lay great. My buff orpingtons have LOUD egg songs. . And screech!

9. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    I have an Australorp, Aretha, who's a blabbermouth! She sings a loud egg song every time *any* of the hens lay. The rest of the time she just yaks up a storm ... from sun up to sun down. My EEs are quiet. The rest, Wyandotte, BR, and BO, yak some, but aren't too loud. Aretha drowns them out!

I think it's just the individual personality of the chicken. But, after reading this thread, it sounds like EEs are the quietest ... and they produce pretty eggs!

10. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    My White Leghorns are virtually silent. I'm not typically home all day, however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by