Need recommendations : Feeder for 100 chickens

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
We are heading towards having 100 chickens. What type of feeder would work best for this many? They are free range, having over 5 acres of pasture at their disposal.

We are heading towards having 100 chickens. What type of feeder would work best for this many? They are free range, having over 5 acres of pasture at their disposal.
Maybe get a BIG bucket and install modified pvc elbows into it? Kinda like this one....but with more feeder ports all the way around and a much better container. That way you won't have wild birds stealing the food, your birds scratching it into the dirt, and the feed will be protected from the weather. You can close off the feeder holes at night so rodents don't steal the food, too.

Is the feeder going to be under cover and protected from the elements? What kind (size) of chickens?

The one above looks like a horrible feed waster to me!

I would prefer that the feeder be outside rather than inside the coop, especially during the nice part of the year. Winter, may be a different story.

The chickens are standard size, ISA Browns mainly, some others, and then a small flock of silkies.

I would prefer that the feeder be outside rather than inside the coop, especially during the nice part of the year. Winter, may be a different story.

The chickens are standard size, ISA Browns mainly, some others, and then a small flock of silkies.
For that size chickens and amount of them I would use long feeder troughs. You could by them or use house gutters. Like these... If the food is outside then you would have to cover them somehow.

You wouldn't have to have them that short you could make them as long as you want.

Is the feeder going to be under cover and protected from the elements? What kind (size) of chickens?

The one above looks like a horrible feed waster to me!
Chickenjerk, the feeder shown doesn't waste feed at all. The pvc curves downward (it's a 90) and there is a lip so the birds have to put their heads inside....and peck down to get the feed. If it wasted feed I'd be in trouble with all the birds we raise.
smile.png

For that size chickens and amount of them I would use long feeder troughs. You could by them or use house gutters. Like these... If the food is outside then you would have to cover them somehow.

You wouldn't have to have them that short you could make them as long as you want.
I very much dislike this type of feeder because it's open season for mite/disease carrying wild birds and rodents plus they can get into it and waste a lot of food. We're kinda picky about our bio-security, though. Some people really like them.

I very much dislike this type of feeder because it's open season for mite/disease carrying wild birds and rodents plus they can get into it and waste a lot of food. We're kinda picky about our bio-security, though. Some people really like them.

I don't use these feeder for my birds I just thought since he has that many he probably has a large building which he could fit these long gutters in.

Back
Top Bottom