NEED roosting advice...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ksct, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I (we) will be getting our 12 new Buff Orpingtons in 13 days and counting..... (SO EXCITED) we will be first time owners! We're finishing up our coop this weekend. I am curious about what our ladies will be looking for in a roost. Should this be a dowel (round) shape or can we get a thicker piece of lumber for their feet to be flat on? I've seen a few pics or other roosts and have sort of seen this question asked, just not directly. Is there a better option?
    Please help. [​IMG]
    Time is certainly ticking. I appreciate and thank anyone in advance!!!!

THANK YOU!

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

A 2x4 works brilliantly [​IMG] Chickens don't really perch like other birds, they just sit.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    2" x 4" with the 4" side flat slightly rounded off if you can is the best. At night they don't hold on so much as they plunk down on their feet to keep them warm. Good luck with your new birds!

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I agree a 2x4 with the wide side up works great [​IMG]

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    thank you all! I think we will be installing them saturday. For 12 birds, how many roosts should they have?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

about 12" of roost per bird, I hear. Especially if you live in a warm climate they need to spread out so they don't get hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by