Need some advice about my dog.

missusduray

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Northern Minnesota
Lastnight my 3 year old lab/springer mix got off his chain and went after my chickens. I was not home so I didnt see it. My roo must have defended his girls becasue the only feathers on the lawn were Reds beautiful hind feathers. The girls seem unharmed and are a little scared. Red is crabby, with good reason but we didnt find any bite marks. I think that the dog just got a mouthful of feathers. My husband and I were so upset. When DH got home, the dog then proceded to go to the little baby pen where my 6 week olds are and he chased them by running around the outside of the pen. They were flustered too. So my question is, how do you train a dog to be around birds? Did you have your birds first or the dog first? I would love to keep all my animals but I just dont see them getting along and I would like to let the dog off the leash for some exercise. Any advice would be appreciated.
Kristyne

Last edited:
When I had a flock last year, it took my dog about two months to get used to them. He'd always run up and bark a couple of times, but then he'd turn away.

He's still getting used to this new flock and is more persistent although I can tell he's starting to give it up.

No matter how used to them he gets, I would NEVER have him outside while they were not in their coops. It's workable because he stays inside all the time anyway except for bathroom breaks and when we're outside.

More background, I have a small house and the dog is not allowed in because he will not listen to me. I have the 4 older hens totally free range. They have no fence. Most of the time he seems to ignore them but evidently he now has it in his mind that he needs to catch them. I know that he just wants to play. He does the same thing with the cat. We have tried to break him of it but he will not leave the cat alone. I have tried to leash train him and he still pulls, worse now that we have the chickens. When I let him off the leash, he runs and runs and runs. Most of the time in the yard, sometimes out and he will not come when he is called like this. We have tried since he was a pup but he still refuses to listen. I am at my wits end. So now he spends his time tied up to the dog house. I wish that it didnt have to be like this.
Kristyne

PERSISTANCE!! Sit the dog next to the chickens....leashed.....and don't let him even look at the chickens!! Make a sound or pull sideways on the leash to distract him every time he looks at them. You need to establish yourself as the pack leader, which right now, he thinks he's the leader. Walk him at least 30 minutes every day to get rid of the pent up energy he has. He's been getting away with way too much!! Put your foot down, woman
lol.png
Show him who's boss!!!
My neighbor has a dog that was so intent on her chickens....with lots of persistance, he now leaves them alone...and if Corky can ignore a bird, any dog can. Good Luck!

I had my dog first and when I got my chickens I was very firm with him on the fact these chickens were mine and off limits to him. He was well trained to begin with so far I have had no problems with him and the chickens. But it came down to training. It sounds to me that he isnt getting enough activity and excersise. I know from my own dog if I dont give him his and my own work out daily he is wound up and impossible to live with. Can he get a walk every day? From what I know about dogs and I have alot of experience training dogs, when they dont get excersise they will act out in various ways and bad behaviors. Chewing things, not listening...so maybe consider getting him some activity other than chasing chickens or obedience training is always a plus. Does he listen the the DH?

Another thing my dog was a puller, got this great device called a prong collar. It cured him of his pulling right off. Its like a choke chain but with these prongs. Work wonders with a puller. you can get them at all pet supply stores, TSC and Fleet Farm I have seen them.

What breed of dog are you dealing with?

Another thought, does he like to fetch things...one of the activities I use to wear out my dog is a frisbee. Throw that for 30 mins a day and the dog is so tired he doesnt have time to think about misbehaving.

Each dog is different but nip this one quick or the next time he might think he is playing but your chickens could end up really hurt or no longer with us.

Cesar put the chicken on top of the dog as the dog was laying on it's side.....to tell the dog that the chicken was part of the pack.....

Quote:
Okay Kristyne, I can totally empathize with you about your ill-trained dog.
smile.png
See I have an almost 2 y/o Blue Heeler (Austrailian Cattle Dog) who is exactly the same way but worse! We have attempted to train this boy to no end. When he is loose, and called by name, he runs into the woods with this look like - "I have something VERY important to do and must get on it right away." It is actually comical now since he's been doing it a year. Walking on a leash, ARE YOU KIDDING? Not this dog. When he was about a year old we got a second dog - a wonderfully dopey, loving, sweet bull/lab mix. This one trained up decently, so I know I'm not at fault with Steel's unwillingness to learn.

Here's where I'm going with this. Steel is a chaser, that IS his lot in life. I've come to accept this and learned to handle it. As have our neighbors who have learned that if Steel tries to chase them, they must drive faster. Because he's a chaser, and we have no cows for him to chase yet, he's been chained for the last year. He was miserable and even got testy with my 10 y/o son who is his caretaker. Dad and I built him a large run shortly before we got the first chickens and he moved in there. The chickens have free range option but are contained in an electrified Poultry Net fence - not that this keeps them in. When I first put up the fence and started letting the kids out to run, I took Boots (the dopey one) to the fence and tapped his nose to it a couple times as he looked at the chickens. He never took an interest in the chickens, however when we got the guineas and Dad placed them in a dog pen outside, one got out and Boots took it as his duty to chase it back in. I was there and freaked out. I shouted at him and smacked him right away. his sad look told me that he was trying to help but . . .

Recently, Dad has started letting Steel out and occasionally, usually when someone is around, Steel will convince Boots to help him chase a chicken. We have 2 White Leghorn roos who frequent;y leave the fence to explore. One rainy evening, when I was feeding everyone, Steel started barking by me. Thinking there was a mouse, I looked and it was Trixter, the roo. I let him out the back door of the shed and those 2 boys went after him. I screamed at them and chased them off, but they were both smiling at me and wagging their tails so that I knew it was just play.

Your dog is part Lab and it is the Labs lot in life to retrieve. Therefore, it is likely that your baby will try to retrieve the chickens when he can. As for training a strong-willed dog away from that, the best advice I can give is stay tough. I had tried the electric collar for Steel and it caused him to run away for a few days to a neighbor's house 5 miles away. I like the idea mentioned about sitting with his and making him watch the chickens but not do anything and the keep him active tips too. I can say from experience that the best thing you can do is give your dog as much time off tether with you watching as possible so he will get used to the chickens. Praise and give him treats when he does not interfere with the chickens around you, and make sure that when you are taking care of the chickens, he knows it is not his job to help.

Final thing is something Dad was told to do. If you ever watched the movie "Snow Dogs" this idea is like the bite him on the ear to show alpha status. Someone told Dad that if the dog gets (kills) a chicken, he should tie the dead bird around the dogs neck and let him run around with it until it rots away to nothing. Gross, I know. Like I said it seems like a myth or something to me.

Good luck with your babes.

Beth

Gosh this is long!
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom