Need some advice cause Im outta my mind

wcuatt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Ok so I have lost a speckled Sussex and replaced her with a new hampshire. So fast forward now this flock of rowdy lil girls are three weeks old. I originally wanted buff Burma's and bantys. Couldnt get um at the time. So I now am an proud owner of three buff Burma's and three Bantams problem thts gettimg me is how to integratet the six new lil girls into the hen house thats already established

put your girls that are in the house or where ever you have them into a large dog crate and place the crate in the coop then let them out in a few hours or just put them in the coop when everyone's sleeping that should work to

How many older hens are there and how old are they? It's usually best not to try to integrate chicks until they are nearly the same size as the older birds. What works best is making a grow out pen alongside the older birds run, or fencing off part of the run for the youngsters, so the older ones can get used to them but not attack them. I don't integrate young, new birds until they are around 15 weeks old. When they are small they are at great risk of being seriously attacked and injured by the older birds.

My "older girls" are three weeks old an my younger girls are bout a week old and maybe the size of a large white egg

My "older girls" are three weeks old an my younger girls are bout a week old and maybe the size of a large white egg
I had no problems integrating with a 10 day difference. If you can put the babies in with the older girls with a wire divider between them for a day or 2, (obviously, give them their own heat, feed and water sources) then you should be able to take it down without any problem. I've heard that integration works well up to a 3 - 4 week difference. As long as the little ones are past the baby "can't walk without falling down" stage.

I have them split in the brooder box today will be four days with a "fence" between them. So after tonights clean out I will drop the screen an see what happens. Thank yall for your help and imput.

Ok we have intergrated to little success its been 6days seperate my leghorns are attacking the bantys feet and beaks the buff brahmas are holding there own. I really musta been crazy

Ok we have intergrated to little success its been 6days seperate my leghorns are attacking the bantys feet and beaks the buff brahmas are holding there own. I really musta been crazy
how big is your brooder, and how many chicks? How many bantams, How many large fowl? Are they picking to the point that the banty's can't get away, or just picking because they see the toes. Are they drawing blood? There are a few products that you can paint on the pickees to keep the pickers from picking. If the brooder is not big enough that they can get away from each other, you'll probably have problems. Do the bantys have feathered feet?

how big is your brooder, and how many chicks? How many bantams, How many large fowl? Are they picking to the point that the banty's can't get away, or just picking because they see the toes. Are they drawing blood? There are a few products that you can paint on the pickees to keep the pickers from picking. If the brooder is not big enough that they can get away from each other, you'll probably have problems. Do the bantys have feathered feet?
Just read back through your post. The older girls are leg horns, right? From my experience with that breed, they tend to be more flighty and agressive. I'd just keep an eye on the situation, and intervene if it's getting really nasty. You might try taking the leg horns out of their "home area" for a few days, or you might try separating them again, then putting a single leg horn in with the younger chicks, best to do it when you're offering a tasty treat. (Choose the least dominant one) If that goes well, add an other leg horn... etc. If that doesn't work, you've really got a struggle on your hands. But don't give up... hopefully they'll settle into a pecking order, and the agression will diminish as long as every one remembers where they belong in the pecking order.

Thank you lazy gardner. It was just the bantys they dont stand up for themselves where as the buff brahmas are my bull in the china shop chicken they take no crap from anyone.

Heres two of my bantys

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom