1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice/help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1stChicky, Oct 9, 2013.

1. 1stChicky

1stChicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    NJ
    I have 11hens total, 5 are white (unknown breed, bought from tractor supply) and 6 are rhode island reds....we have a coop with a door that goes into a run. the door is always open, the run is huge and totally fenced in so predators can't get them. the chickens always have plenty of food and water and access to it 24/7. all the hens go out together and go back in together, they just do it on their own and follow eachother...well, all but ONE. I've noticed for the past couple weeks this one white hen has stayed in the coop by herself away from the others. she hangs in this one nesting box all the time. she eats and drinks and is laying normally. but she stays in this one nesting box on top of the eggs shes laid (theres no rooster). I pick her up, move her, take her eggs, and she goes right back to the spot. a couple times my husband picked her up and put her out to try to get her to socialize with the others. she wasn't having it, she went right back to the nesting box. we've also noticed she has developed a bald spot on her belly and it's a little red. there are no parasites and none of the other hens have this...What is this? is this normal behavior for a hen? Should I be concerned? She is about 8months old. Theres been no change in food or routine. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she is broody.

3. 1stChicky

1stChicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    NJ
    what does that mean?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It means your hen wants to hatch eggs and be a mama. She will continue to go to the nest to attempt to do so. If you dont want her to do this, you'll have to isolate her. It would be best to cage her for about a week to break her broodiness. Make sure you provide her feed and water while caged if you decide to do this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by