Need some advice on "pecking order"

Hi, I think you have been given a lot of good suggestions. I would definitely focus on separating and building a bigger coop. I know the Eglu you got said it was rated for up to 5 chickens, but I wouldn't put more than two in it. Perfect for separating a sick chicken, a mean girl or letting a broody hatch her chicks but not for the whole flock to share.

I would build a coop that is at least 4x6. bigger would be better especially if you will be getting more chickens. I know everyone says one nest box should be fine for four hens but since they already are being territorial about it I would build 2 or 3. Make sure you have good ventilation and roosting space. Take a look at the coop forums for good guidelines.

Also just wanted to say that I think your white chicken is an Amber Link/Amber Star, it's the opposite coloring of a Red Star/Golden Comet. The mother would have been a red hen (Rhode Island, New Hampshire or Production Red) and the father a white rooster with the silver gene such as Rhode Island White. It's the opposite parenting for the reds. I agree that your black hen is probably a Cochin or a Cochin mix. You know the Buff Orpington, but I have no idea what your brown and black one is, she has a very long tail, almost looks like a game bird.

Best of luck!

I enjoyed reading peoples responses and learned a few things. I would separate the mean bird and let the sweet one integrate back into the flock. The mean one needs to be "kicked out" and reintroduced and maybe she will fall at the mid-top of the pecking order and not the top where she is abusing her power...if that makes sense.

I have 6 babies right now and 1 is a super brat already!!! Will probably have to do something similar down the road...or let my 8 year old hen take care of it when I add them to her...lol...

Def separate the aggressors. I had two bullies and seperated them and they were in a 4x4 run with a dog house for a week and DID NOT LIKE IT lol but now there nice. They don't wanna go back into solitary confinement

We had a bully in our 6 and she did cause injury to the other. So for a few days I locked her in a dog cage on the floor of the coop. Putting her in that low position was good for her. Then she watched all the others have freedom while she was stuck in time out. She is now a sweet heart. I only have 3 of my six left just because they are getting older. But I'm introducing 6 new chicks in about a week and I'm dividing the coop in half for awhile to keep the little ones safe.

Hi. You're not doing anything wrong, it's just chickens being chickens.

I'd start by leaving the little victim in the run/coop with the nicest of the others, the orphington. Put the other two in a time out area. If possible leave it this way for a week or so. Then add one of the naughty hens back in and watch them. If it's getting along, leave it in there. If not, back out it goes for a while longer. What you are trying to accomplish this way is to establish that the black hen and orphington are the flock, and that the "new" hen (the one that you are adding back in) is lower than them on the pecking order. Once that works, then add the last hen back in and watch.

We've done this with a trio of bossy Marans and it worked. They were separated from the flock for about a week before I started putting them back, one by one.

We do this too when we have a cranky hen. It really works.

This was a great thread! Thanks to all! We started with 6 RIRs last year and enjoyed it so much that we decided to expand this year and sell eggs. We have two coops&runs. Thought it was perfect solution to integrate new ones once old enough and be able to switch them back and forth to allow grass to grow back. But, then I went a little ckn crazy at the feed store as they kept getting new ones in each week. They're just so stinkin cute! So, now I have 4 different ages and couldn't even keep them in same brooder boxes w/out the "picking" making me a nervous wreck. I was really worried about what I was going to do once they were all grown and I only had 2 turfs for 4 gangs. Now, I feel more confident that I know the right thing to do in case of a problem. Thank you!

I too have a bossy older hen what sometimes helps her not to pick on the others is a sort of seed ball for chickens it is proven to calm down the pecking

I just introduced 7 new hens into an existing flock. The existing flock are 2 years old and 9 of them. The new hens are 1 year old. I let the old gals out of the coop and kept the rooster in there and then put the new gals in there so he could introduce himself to them. One hen really laid into him! :) So after about an hour, I let them all out. There were some fights Sambo manned up and broke up the fights. He has his "hands" full right now trying to manage these gals. He has had it easy for so long he got lazy. So we'll see how they do tonight when I lock them up in the coop. I've done this before and there are some fights until they establish the pecking order and get used to each other. So I hope this goes as well as it has in the past.

First thing that jumps out, Room. iij

I mixed what was supposed to be a big mean ole hen with a another who thought she was boss along with a bantam rooster and 3 bantam pullets. I mixed them on free range The 2 groups go to their own coops at night, no questions no fuss. There are some rare pecks, but nothing horrible.

Looks like space is tight, but If you want to keep that sweet Cochin (?) Get her a bud and let them have their own coop.

Create A Round pen. You are creative and skilled, I used 1/2" pvc and welded wire (not galvanized for cheap) same materials more sq ft. + no corners to get pinned into. Really mellowing.

Others I am sure have sugestend multiple feed and water stations....I find that a barrier helps also, so that bad a&% hen can't see the sweetheart eating.

Back
Top Bottom