Need some advice

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I'm looking to cover the run with Ondura. It's heavier than most other thing and I figure easier for me to put on. I figure it's will last longer than those clear plastic panels and the metal sheets. Plus I figure I'll have to add more supports for the plastic and metal.

The drawback is I want it in Green and that has to be special ordered and cost $5 more per panel than the colors on the shelf. Off the shelf panels are $19.92 each. 48"x79".

I wrote to the company and they told me I could paint it, which makes no sense, since a gallon of paint will cost more than $25. I need 5 panels but hoped to cover the entire runs. One is 24x8 the other 16x8. It will take 3 panels per 8 ft of run approximately. I figure it would take at least a gallon of paint to paint the five panels.

I'm really ticked that I have to special order green and feel I'm being had by this company.

By the way this is only sold at Lowes. I hate Lowes. They are the worst to deal with and customer service is the worst. I got a gift card for Lowes and I hate them so much I'd rather give it away than use it.

So does anyone have any advice on what I can use instead that will cost $100.00? Off the shelf panels come in red, brown and gray. My coop is purple and green. None of these colors will work without requireing painting the coop or the panels, or paying the extra $25 of Ondura.

I live in NY, so I need something sturdy enough to hold the snow. My run is slanted so I'd like something the snow will slide off of easily or I can rake off of. I used tarps last year and it was a disaster, though the run wasn't slanted like this year. (I changed it).

Thanks for any advice

Rancher

This is an old thread discussing Ondura roofing on a roofing forum that might give you some pointers from roofing professionals you could contact in your area:

http://www.roofing.com/forum/about1067-0-asc-15.html

Excerpt:

I've seen Ondura on a few roofs. After several years, there's usually something else on the same roofs. I've never seen an Ondura roof stay on the same house for more than five years.

If you look in detail at what Ondura is, you'll find a felt mat pressed in a corrugated manner and saturated with asphalt. The top is usually painted.

First problem: The paint is often seen to peel off the sheets, but the examples I know of are (or rather, were) all in snow-belt country, so perhaps its the snow on Ondura that causes the problem.

Second problem: since the ondura sheets are corrugated, only the lowest part of the corrugation is supported by the roof deck. If you put any amount of weight on top of the corrugation, it will tend to press down and dent. As the asphalt felt dries out with time, it also loses the ability to bend elastically. Therefore any weight on the corrugation can cause permanent damage.

Third problem: as the asphalt in the felt dries out (oils evaporate), it's easier for water to get into the mat. Just as in shingles, this results in swelling of the mat and distortion (equivalent to shingles curling).

Fourth problem: Flashing accompanying the roofing material. Most roofs fail at the junctions (valleys, endwalls, gable-ends, etc), and that is where the flashing system for the product either works, or doesn't. I haven't seen any flashing detail for Ondura, so perhaps they have worked out a really neat system. But I doubt it, as Ondura replicates corrugated steel roofing, and the latter usually depends on the knowledge and experience of an installer.

(More...)

Honestly I do not think you can beat corrugated metal roofing panels, correctly installed, for price/longevity combo.

I am not quite clear on why you think it is unfair that you have to pay more for a special order -- they are pulling, packing and shipping it just for you, so of COURSE it's going to cost more than bulk shipment off giant pallets sent as part of a regular order. This is normal practice and for fairly obvious reasons. And of course a store cannot necessarily afford to keep ALL colors in regular stock. <shrug> But anyhow, if you want green, I would suggest ordering green, as paint is not going to last very long and it sounds like you care about longevity.

But, me, I'd do a good gauge of metal. (Or polycarbonate -- not pvc -- plastic panels, which are the same or a bit more expensive than painted metal but are commonly kept in-stock in green
tongue.png
I would not count on them lasting *as* long as metal though unless the ONLY stress on them is weather and exposure)

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wow, I really appreciate the advice.
I really only intend to put a cover over my run. It is slanted and so figure the snow would be easy to brush off or slide off. The water pools in the tarps of last year and then refreezes makeing a mess.

I cover the run with plastic so that keeps the snow out and the birds can go out on the not so cold days. With the exception of the covering it worked great.

I just need something sturdy enough.

Metal or polycarbonate (not pvc) are plenty strong enough (assuming appropriately designed lumber underneath them, which Ondura would need just as much anyhow). And they are good n slippery which helps shed snow.

Pat

I was going to use the Ondura roofing too but it would have been more expensive than standard shingles when you're all done. It may be easier to install but it won't last as long. Also Ondura needs to have sheathing underneath it just like a standard roof. I think using the amount of lap they suggest for Ondura you will only get 48"X72" of coverage per sheet. Three bundles of shingles at Lowes(sorry) @ $25 per bundle would cover 100 square feet. Three Ondura panels is just under 100 square feet and just $15 less but you need to buy the special nails and they also suggest using their special shaped foam pieces on the edges I think. The shingle roof will last 20 to 30 years probably. That Ondura will not last nearly as long. I don't think you should stand on it either. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom