Need some advice...

Cricket0045

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
I have a Royal Palm "foster" turkey named Bubba. He has a big lump or cyst or something on his wing, on the "elbow". It is a little bigger than a golf ball and firm. I'm not sure if I need to lance it or not. I've had turkeys for years, but I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for any suggestions. I will try to post a photo in the morning.

It has a little feather in the center. Could it be an ingrown feather? Today it looks like it might have infection in it.

I did some research on google, and came up with this
However, the swollen bump he has is actually a cyst the Vet believes to be an ingrown feather. We are waiting for the wound to heal. In two weeks Edvard will go in for a surgical removal of the cyst.
I think you may be able to do this yourself. Ingrown hair/ingrown feather.

We have rarely seen this -- usually a cyst as your vet says. Removing it as you plan should work out well if you have a capable vet to do it.

Poor guy. Please compare growth with the shots of our Royal (had a chondrosarcoma removed in `07 - had a heck of a time finding a good vet). Though we bred him with an unrelated hen, one of his offspring also developed a single growth (we removed that by ligature, ourselves, and neither tom has/had a recurrence). Our vet (undergrad poultry science/masters in poultry genetics) believes these to be a result of inbreeding for show birds - and, owing to the malignancy appearing infrequently (most of the time) it is often unknown to breeders.

I had a complete thread regarding growths and surgery, but the `old' BYC links have gone cold, as I just discovered. Will reconstitute thread when time allows.

Shots for comparison (graphic): http://s30.photobucket.com/user/IvanIvanovich/library/SCREAMER?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom