Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cricket0045, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Cricket0045

Cricket0045 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    I have a Royal Palm "foster" turkey named Bubba. He has a big lump or cyst or something on his wing, on the "elbow". It is a little bigger than a golf ball and firm. I'm not sure if I need to lance it or not. I've had turkeys for years, but I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for any suggestions. I will try to post a photo in the morning.

2. Cricket0045

Cricket0045 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has a little feather in the center. Could it be an ingrown feather? Today it looks like it might have infection in it.

3. Hounds51

Hounds51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
    I did some research on google, and came up with this
    However, the swollen bump he has is actually a cyst the Vet believes to be an ingrown feather. We are waiting for the wound to heal. In two weeks Edvard will go in for a surgical removal of the cyst.
    I think you may be able to do this yourself. Ingrown hair/ingrown feather.

4. floridapoultry

floridapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    We have rarely seen this -- usually a cyst as your vet says. Removing it as you plan should work out well if you have a capable vet to do it.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Poor guy. Please compare growth with the shots of our Royal (had a chondrosarcoma removed in `07 - had a heck of a time finding a good vet). Though we bred him with an unrelated hen, one of his offspring also developed a single growth (we removed that by ligature, ourselves, and neither tom has/had a recurrence). Our vet (undergrad poultry science/masters in poultry genetics) believes these to be a result of inbreeding for show birds - and, owing to the malignancy appearing infrequently (most of the time) it is often unknown to breeders.

I had a complete thread regarding growths and surgery, but the `old' BYC links have gone cold, as I just discovered. Will reconstitute thread when time allows.

Shots for comparison (graphic): http://s30.photobucket.com/user/IvanIvanovich/library/SCREAMER?sort=3&page=1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by