Need some advice

bfdast

Hatching
Feb 4, 2015
New to show chickens, getting some this yr but my question is what do I feed them? I normally feed regular feed but whats good for show chickens? Any advice would be great!!!!!

New to show chickens, getting some this yr but my question is what do I feed them? I normally feed regular feed but whats good for show chickens? Any advice would be great!!!!!
What breed/s do you have?

Most major feed manufacturers produce a show bird feed mix which you can either order direct from them or some major farm stores like Tractor Supply have available to order online. I don't show birds but as I understand it you only put them on show feed for a period of time prior to a show not all the time.

I dont any yet to show but just trying to get my mind around isth when I do at some point this yr I wouldn't be lost! Trying to get a heard start

Hi bdfst

Welcome to the world of showing birds! It’s a really fun activity – you’ll love it.

Thank you for raising this very important question. When deciding on the right feeding program for your flock, it is important to remember your goals (show, layer, meat, etc.).

When it comes to show birds, you should plan on feeding a diet higher in protein. I often recommend Purina
00ae.png
Flock Raiser
00ae.png
Crumbles (or Pellets) for those raising birds for show. This complete feed offers a 20% protein level and is formulated to meet all of your birds’ nutritional needs (as long as it consists of at least 90% of the total diet). Feeding a complete diet is especially important for show birds because this can help avoid overfeeding treats and scraps, which can make your birds overweight.

Purina
00ae.png
Flock Raiser
00ae.png
Crumbles or Pellets also contain essential amino acids, which help support muscle and skeletal development – both needed for success at poultry shows. The added protein and amino acids also support proper plumage – vibrant, healthy feathers are critical for that winning presence.

You can learn more about Purina
00ae.png
Flock Raiser
00ae.png
here.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom