Need some advise

gpamela3499

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Catawba NC
Hi
My son's preschool at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg Ca. is studying farm animals. Someone in town is selling a rooster (Rhode Island Red) and a hen(different breed) for $15. I thought that I would get the chickens share them with the preschool and keep them for pets and eggs. Is this a good idea?
We are responsible pet owners we do have a three cats, a hermit crab, and some fish. The cats are well cared for fixed shots etc.

I am planning to look at your site and other to make sure the chickens are provided with the basics.
Can we get eggs? Will these chickens make good pets? How long do chickens live? Can old chickens lay eggs?

Any help or advise would be most appreciated.
I am so happy to find you!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

How friendly are the chickens. Maybe only take the hen for them to see. Or if you take the rooster, leave it in the cage. How old are they? I have chickens that are 6 years old, almost 7, and they still lay eggs. They can live to be about 15 years old sometimes.

Go for it. You will soon be hooked on these wonderful creatures.

Some caveats:

* there is such a thing as "too much rooster." Be sure you can take (and your neighbors can take) a man with a loud ego;
* sex. It happens. If you have a rooster and a hen you will have a dozen chicks in the spring;
* lots-o-poop; Do you have a source of clean bedding?

hello!
chickens are fun to raise. You really need to be sure that your neighbors are okay with the crowing. By the way roosters don't only crow in the morning.They crow all day if they feel like it. some roosters can be a bit on the aggressive side. I have had a couple of sweet roosters and a couple NASTY mean roosters. Keep the hen house clean, feed them properly, house them properly and you should really enjoy them.(you'll probably want more) the eggs are great eat them fresh!! check out the book Keeping Chickens- you'll like it.

Please take a moment to read my page on rooster behavior, the link is in my sig line.

I honestly think a rooster amongst preschoolers is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe a couple of good tempered hens would be better.

Thank you all for the advise.
point well taken about the rooster and the children.
two more questions.
If I take the pair can I introduce some pullets (just learned that word) at the appropriate age or will the fight one another?
Can you order just 5 pullets? My space is not that big.

Back
Top Bottom