Need some answers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CedarRidgeChicks, Jun 17, 2009.

1. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Songster

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I have chicks that hatched yesterday/last night on the 19th day..I have 2 left in the bator that pipped yesterday..today they started zipping and breaking the shell..have half zipped but membrane seems to be stuck to them and holding them back..do I let nature take its course or assist and if so how?

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    Well, it is said that it is usually best not to assist, but I have to admit that I have...I have 14 2 week old chicks in a brooder now. The same thing happened to one of the eggs and I did not assist and the poor thing was so weak I guess that it died. So, when I had 2 others do the same, guess what I did?[​IMG]I just lightly sprayed some warm water on the egg and it immediately softened the membrane up. Then the chicks were able to come out on their own and they are 2 of the 14 I have in the brooder and doing very well![​IMG]

3. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Songster

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Thank you!!I'm going to try this..

4. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    Let me know how that works; I will say a little prayer for your babies!![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: