Need some barred rock advice

Blackjack1392

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
So the first week of January, I bought 6 BR chicks from a feed store around my house. They were all suppose to be pullets but from what it looks like only 1 of them actually is. I say this because there is only 1 that does not have a red wattle and stuff. So I was wondering if it is possible for BR hens to have red wattles to, or are those exclusive to the males? I'll post some pics in a little while so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I just really hope I am wrong about having 5 roo's, because if i'm not then I just spent 5 months worth of time, effort, and money to raise chicks that I don't even want!

At 6 months old, I'll bet you have all females and should be getting eggs any time. Barred rocks are pretty easy to tell male from female, the males are much lighter in overall color. Look around here at pictures of barred rock hens and roosters, you can tell the difference. Hens get red combs and wattles as they reach sexual maturity and keep them as they lay. A rooster at this age would have classic rooster signs, the full tail, the huge comb, and be crowing and mating most likely.

Post some pics when you can and we'll confirm for you.

Here's a video of my chickens. The quality is not that great (sorry), but you can see that all of them have the dark red combs and wattles except for 1. Does that mean I have 5 Roo's and 1 hen?

For the same reason some middle school girls are flat chested lol. Combs are a sign of sexual maturity and fertility, the other one's just a slow developer and will catch up. I see all hens, I'm not sure why you're not getting any eggs. Do your birds free range? If so, you need to go on an egg hunt! They look like they should be laying.

Yes they do free range on a daily basis, well most days anyway. But they aren't 6 months old yet. They are 153 days old today, so just over 5 months. Maybe I'll have to leave them in the coop/run for a few days just to see if any of them are laying.

I would do that, cause most of those girls look like they're leaving brown eggs somewhere.
I'm with Donrae on this. Every single one of those chickens are hens.

All but one should be very close to laying if not already laying. Barred Rocks (production type) usually start laying around 20 weeks - which is exactly 5 months. Some lay a little later than others, but 20 weeks is usually around the time I start expecting to see eggs out of a hatchery barred rock. :)

Well Ive had them penned up for 2 days now and so far nothing. How long should I leave them penned in until I let them free range again? Should I wait until I get eggs to let them back out?

Back
Top Bottom