Need Some Broiler Advise Please...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dc7603, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dc7603

dc7603 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I have 35 broilers that are 6 weeks old and currently live in a 16'x9' coop. They have been there for two weeks and they will be butchered in two weeks. Since they are scheduled for butcher in two weeks, I have taken them off medicated feed and today they have started on non medicated ration. My concern is the coop that they are in. I started with a generous layer of pine bedding but that has now become a moist layer of compacted manure and pine bedding. At six weeks, how great is my risk of coccidiosis? How should I be maintaining the bedding to finish these broilers for the next two weeks? This is my first batch of birds so any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks...dc

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Is it posible that you can let them run free during the day ?

and make sure they go back to the coop at sunset.

3. dc7603

dc7603 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Unfortunately we live next to a river so there are too many predators to allow them to free range during the day. The safest place for them is in a coop...I just need to figure out what is the best way to maintain the coop for them. thanks.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Cocci most likely not an issue, I would add fresh shavings every couple days until butcher time.

5. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You can continue adding shavings, (I've found it much easier to use hay or straw, it rakes out easier, in my opinion.) It will be a lot of work to get that layer, especially since it will more than double in depth, in the last two weeks, but of course it can be done [​IMG]

If you can rake it out now, I would temporarily separate the coop in half, and move all the birds to one side. Every day, move them to the opposite side, and rake out the dirty side...adding fresh bedding for the next day..the next day, switch them back and repeat.... Bird netting works as a great temporary fence/boundry, you just have to staple it to one side, and figure out how to attach the other side, so that you form a "fence" that you can open each day (to switch the birds back and forth).

That would give your birds 2 sqft apiece until burther day, not as nice as the four/each they currently have, but every body would be clean and happy, and it will be a lot less work for you, in the long run, than working your way through that compacted layer two weeks from now.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with your broilers!

-Jessa:yiipchick

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey Jessa... where do you get bird netting from? I went to my local big box hardware store and they said they didn't carry it....

Any good online places you know of?

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    highly unlikely to be an issue. You should be fine. Congrats! almost there [​IMG]

8. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hi Itsy [​IMG] We get it from our HD, but have also found it at the other big box hardware, L's.

Deer netting/fence is what we actually use, 7 x 100 feet so that we can "free range" our layers, but still keep them away from the neighbors. It was at HD for 20.00 (was twice as much money at the other store) . For meaties you probably only need the netting that is 4' high.

Funny, I just tried to find it on their website, and couldn't locate it on either one as bird netting, but found the exact same thing as multi-purpose netting !!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Hope that helps hun!!

-Jessa

9. thet-bone

thet-bone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Not that I know it all...but I got some wonderful netting for a reasonable price at a Koi Pond place! Also, we use pine bark for bedding and thick, coarse shavings on top. I find that the shavings peel off with a gardening hand trowel when it gets "poopie" and then I put fresh shavings back on top of the pine bark. I just walk along and do about 1 square foot at a time and the birds just shift (more like amble:cd) on by when I get to their spot. I have a question too...I'm putting it in bold so maybe someone will notice, not shouting: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY ADVERSE EFFECTS USING COCOA BEAN HULLS FOR LITTER WITH BROILERS??? [​IMG] I know, I know...stupid question:plbb. Especially considering the fact that nearly everything has an adverse effect on these silly broilers - no immune system! My husband is most concerned (he's a small animal vet...Texas A & M grad & VERY [​IMG] opinionated) that chickens may have the same adverse reactions as dogs when the hulls are ingested. Who knows???[​IMG]:he

Thanks for listening to a "Newbie" and I hope I have given you a source for netting!

T-Bone

10. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Silly question from me about bedding - do you need any bedding with the meaties once they are in the tractor and have the grass/ground to live on? I was thinking 2 weeks in the brooder then the rest outside in the tractor with good old mother earth as their bedding - changed each day (aka moved) - am I off base here? So far this is all theory to me and the chicks are a coming soon - lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by