Need some broody cage ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FF, Oct 4, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I FINALLY have a broody chicken. Now all I need is a warm cage for her. It is a California white. Everybody picks on her so I just want something that will keep her safe and her happy. Please pictures are needed if you have them. I was thinking about a 3 sided wood cage and then a wire front. If you do have any pictures, please post them for me. Thank you.

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I use a rabit cage for fresh hatched chicks. Then move to a bigger brooder that I'm going to make in the next few days.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do you want to build it, or just get one ready made? I used some old big plastic dog crates that we had.

4. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'd honestly rather buy something. I build something but it would be easier just to buy. Thanks.

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    You signature says you sell small chicken houses....wouldn't something you sell work?

6. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Well I guess it would but I am wondering if for say a small doghouse will be enough protection for them while trying to raise a brood. I would like to have something with a fence around it so they can scratch too.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'd treat it like a grow out coop: doghouse with a temporary pen (inside the main chicken run) set up using garden stakes and chicken wire. That way they can interact without being threatened by the other members of the flock.

But you'd be surprised how well Momma can take care of her chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by