Need Some Duck Help

I started with 3 females to one drake. This seemed to work out ok, but I don't think I'd go with less.

Also there was not a second drake in the mix to fight over the females or over breed a favorite girl.
I am definitely right now looking for other females so that Marvin isn’t “over worked” and I don’t have issues with the boys. My partner suggested that I rehome one of the boys so that we don’t have 3 drakes. But I’m so attached to them all, it’s going to be hard to let one of them go.

I am definitely right now looking for other females so that Marvin isn’t “over worked” and I don’t have issues with the boys. My partner suggested that I rehome one of the boys so that we don’t have 3 drakes. But I’m so attached to them all, it’s going to be hard to let one of them go.

I would think about the total number of ducks you are able to have and see what ratio that will permit you. Also, once they are in full blown breeding season mentality, your flock dynamics will change and you will be able to better judge what does and doesn't work and see who all plays nice and gets along and who may be a bully. Also start thinking about your property and if there are any ways to set up different fencing or housing so that your flock can be divided up if needed, even if only temporarily. I had about a month last summer when one or two ducks would have to be separated from the rest. It wasn't always the same one I'd separate out, but I did have to figure out a system for when it was necessary. This is also good for when you have either ducklings or need to isolate an injured bird for treatment. It never hurts to have secondary temporary or permanent housing setup.

Back
Top Bottom