Need some duckling advice

I know it's hard but if you want your little guy to flourish you should make sure he has the right stuff :)

I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted! Those kittens are too cute. I'm so sorry about your other duckling :(

the problem is you volunteered too much information. This duckling is not going to be the healthiest it can be unless it has the proper feed. Stop taking pictures of cats and ducks and get out there and get some chick or duck starter. You keep asking what you can give besides duck food and everyone has given you the same answer..feed various cereals and hard boiled eggs ONLY until you can get chick/duck starter. If you want it to live and eat as it would in the wild then find the nearest wild life rehabilatator and give the duckling to them.

Thank you for the info, people. Now, to answer a couple questions. The lamp is 'just a random light with a bulb I found' in the garage, yes. It's one of those clip on lights, for working on cars. Pardon for not having a proper heating lamp made for chicks and such, but I'm using what I got. And the lamp seems to offer plenty of warmth. I always check the heat, make sure he isn't getting too warm. But it's been perfect, I'd say. And I'm not giving up on the feed so easily. I'll be going myself, and yes, Unmedicated chick starter feed, got it.

@CollegeChicken, I only inquired about gathering food he would eat in the wild because, hey, where's he gonna get Unmedicated starter chick feed in the wild? It was worth a shot to see about his natural diet. I hope you're not under the impression that all I've been doing is snapping Cute photos of kittens and ducklings. My days are quite full. I'm not looking to have him rehabilitated into the wild, and I don't know of any professional rehabilitators, sorry. I tried eggs with him, he didn't seem all that interested, alas. But I'll try again.

As for grit and digestion. His little outdoor environment has it all, he's often pecking at passing buggies, and I've seen him get down into the dirt. He's not constipated, and he's not experiencing diarrhea. I'd say his poops are normal. And he's got a healthy appetite, he'll eat enough, and when he's full and content he'll go about his other activities. Grooming, exploring, etc. He doesn't over eat, but be does eat enough. And he drinks plenty of clean water, I always change his dish and 'pool' tray.

Again, thanks for the info and advice.

Glad to hear he's doing well. It should be about 90 degrees in the brooder, so if you don't think that light is doing that, you should look into buying a real one meant for ducklings. At this stage his mama would still be sitting on him, so he should be nice and warm.

I think I'll put a thermometer in with him tonight so I can check the heat. We'll see if that lamp is cutting it! :D

Back
Top Bottom