Need some help here

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by allanimals21, Nov 17, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I want to get a turkey. I have been told no because they are mean. Can someone give me some pros and cons to argue my side? lol I'm sure they have their downsides but I would really like to get a burbon red pair to let roam around with the rest of the critters here.

2. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    I love my bourbon reds! They are sweet as can be and follow me around like puppies. When they see me walking out the door they fly out of their coop to come greet me (they have a HUGE 4' tall yard and 6' wouldnt be tall enough either to contain them - they realllly need a top).

They are only 4 months right now, Ive had them since they were a day old. I have 3 toms that fight like crazy and will have to get rid of two (thanksgiving and christmas). One of the toms has started to puff up on me and follow me around - but they have never attacked me. My DH says the tom thinks Im pretty thats why hes getting "pretty" for me [​IMG]

They will peck you - not to be mean, but because they want to see what you are doing and what does that taste like, and this... you have to wear boots (they love to "taste" french manicured toes! OUCH!) Ive learned to walk with my hands above my waste or they will peck my fingers. If Im gardening , I have to put them up, because they want to peck my hands, my nose, etc.. It doesnt hurt... its just a shocker... My hubby doesnt want to get rid of any and will be sad when we do our "deed" this coming up Monday (one of the toms HAS to go!)

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I say that not all animals are the same. If they are what you want get them, raise them so that they are used to people and let them do their thing.[​IMG]

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Get them as day olds and they'll imprint on you. There are the occasional toms that I've read about, but have yet to see, that go `blood simple' but the most ours do is chuff and strut and get pushy when they see one of us has grapes. Hens, on the other hand, are pretty predictably NOT the most forgiving of fingers and arms when brooding (wear long sleeves).

The hens will steal small tools and want to see (up close) everything you are doing.

They are very sociable, curious and certainly not stupid. A couple of hens to one tom is a good idea (hens keep one another company).

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Most Turkeys are not mean!

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise blue slates and sweetgrass turkeys and the only time we have any trouble is in the Spring when the boys are feeling their oats. You just have to keep an eye on them and not turn your back. Of course ours free range so they can slip up on you if you're not careful. Turkeys are THE best bird in the world for pets. I would give up all my chickens for a turley anyday.

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have raise/breed beltsville, royal palms and blue slate...They, mine at least, have never been aggressive...I have roosters that back the turkeys down.

8. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I LOVE my bourbon reds. [​IMG] They hear me or see me and come running! This summer when I needed to hang laundry on the line, I had to sneak out the door so they wouldn't hear me. They like to "help" with laundry. [​IMG] Mine are just a little over 6 mo old. No way are they mean. Ole struts his stuff for me all the time, but has not displayed any aggression to me, family or visitors. They even occasionally go over and visit the neighbors too. Not aggressive there either. Get some turks. You'll enjoy them

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

In all our years with turkeys we have had exactly 1 aggressive turkey and that was a Royal Palm tom. Any aggression isn't permitted here, off to freezer camp they go. Well, except for that RP tom his markings were so nice we gave him to somebody. He still lives out in a pasture with a couple hens and is still mean as a snake.

Like Ivan said get them as poults and handle them often. You still want them to see you as the dominate figure not as an equal. Not trying to scare you in any way but they are large and powerful birds and I think like any animal if they think they can push you around they will.

Bourbon reds are a very curious and friendly turkey, you will like them. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

10. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I would raise them myself. I know they are big lol. My peacock likes to abuse me sometimes. Not aggressive but still runs me over if I'm in the way. So I can just imagine what a turkey could do. So far all of your guys stories are making me want turkeys so bad! They sound like little kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by