Need some help in adding roosts to my small coop

Chido

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
El Monte
I have one of those premade coops with run that are sold online and I've been modifying it to make it more comfortable for my chickens. Nobody at home planned to even have pet chickens but this year we found some baby chicks in the street that we decided to keep (neighbor would let his flock roam the street and we'd often find dead chicks outside). Due to some family issues we didn't have time to build a coop and have it ready for the chicks, so we ended up buying one online
sad.png
. Now I've been modifying it to make it more comfortable for my chickens, since the three we had became 5 (darn chicken keeping is addictive D
smile.png

This is the coop:

http://www.petco.com/product/112389/WARE-Premium--Chick-N-Villa-Chicken-Coop.aspx

I've covered the run with wood to make the whole thing a coop and my chickens only go inside it to sleep, and the only part I left with only the welded wire is the door. The inside of the actual coop is divided on two sections, one where they sleep, and an upper compartment. I removed the bottom of that compartment so my chickens would be able to stand comfortably inside when they go to sleep. I can also remove the floor of the coop and I'm planning on cutting the small wall where the entrance and ramp are to open up more space.

The coop is about 65" by 29" in the inside, and about 4 feet high. I'm trying to maximize the space where my chickens sleep since they are still growing, and I want to add a few perches. Each perch would be 29 inches in length, but I don't know how much space they should be from the wall of the coop and in between the roosts. I have 5 chickens: one standard brahma cockerel and 3 mystery breed pullets that turned out to be on the small side (the four are 5 months old), and 1 barred plymouth rock hen.

I hope you guys can give me suggestions,
big_smile.png

You need to have it far enough away so their tail clears the wall. Also don't put one perch directly under another due to poop issues . About a foot is good from the wall, I think.

And in between the roosts? would 10-12 inches apart be ok if they are at the same level? I wanna keep them at the same level because of my brahma. He's already a big dorky boy, and I know he can easily jump onto anything that is about 16 inches off the ground, but I don't want to add roosts at different heights because I fear he might miscalculate and fall when tying to jump from one perch to the other if it's higher.

Back
Top Bottom