Need some help in going about this...

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have this chicken coop I bought with the roosts put in. The chickens have adjusted the the coop fine the one problem I see is that the roosts are 1”x1”. These are fairly large breed chickens with some Orpingtons in the mix. They keep falling off the roosts after going to bed. The vet said having those small roosts could have contributed to the Wyandotte getting getting bumblefoot. I went to Lowe’s today and got some 1”x3” I’m having a problem figuring out how to replace the 1x1”. It looks like it would be clumsy trying to screw them in or nail them in. The 1” roosts are just nailed into the ftame but can I do that with those w ider boards

Attachments

• 8F264A0E-A75B-4399-B582-C7834AB4F0E3.jpeg
    8F264A0E-A75B-4399-B582-C7834AB4F0E3.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 29
  • AF882CEB-B6D1-4C9C-8CC6-E992ABD4895B.jpeg
    AF882CEB-B6D1-4C9C-8CC6-E992ABD4895B.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 19
I have this chicken coop I bought with the roosts put in. The chickens have adjusted the the coop fine the one problem I see is that the roosts are 1”x1”. These are fairly large breed chickens with some Orpingtons in the mix. They keep falling off the roosts after going to bed. The vet said having those small roosts could have contributed to the Wyandotte getting getting bumblefoot. I went to Lowe’s today and got some 1”x3” I’m having a problem figuring out how to replace the 1x1”. It looks like it would be clumsy trying to screw them in or nail them in. The 1” roosts are just nailed into the ftame but can I do that with those w ider boards
I got a lot of great ideas from Pinterest

Part of the issue is because of the ladder, your current roosts are set at an angle and so your birds are having to sit on the angled corner of the wood. No matter the size of the roost, if using a flat board, they need to be parallel to the ground, so you're probably going to have to cut some notches into them to allow them to sit at the right angle.

As I use round roosts (branches), I used fence brackets to hold the roosts in place but they're designed for round items, not flat/rectangular.

Are you thinking the 3" up or the 1" up? For orpingtons and other of the heavier breeds, a 1x anything reasonable put with the anything up will bow unless it is supported more than just at at the ends. And 1" is pretty small to be the up for that size birds; there is lively discussion about which dimension of a 2x4 should be up.

You could put "posts" under the roosts or double up the boards. If you double them up, you might seal the crack it is harder for parasites to hide.

How many birds do you need roost space for?

I think having one roost parallel to the floor around 18-24 inches above the floor would be easier to install. It would certainly be easier for them to use.
I have 5. Depending on who is in an agreeable mood it s usually 3 on the top rung and 2 the next Roos down

How many birds do you need roost space for?

I think having one roost parallel to the floor around 18-24 inches above the floor would be easier to install. It would certainly be easier for them to use.
I have 5 hens. 2 Orpingtons, I blue black splash marans, 1 Wyandotte,
Are you thinking the 3" up or the 1" up? For orpingtons and other of the heavier breeds, a 1x anything reasonable put with the anything up will bow unless it is supported more than just at at the ends. And 1" is pretty small to be the up for that size birds; there is lively discussion about which dimension of a 2x4 should be up.

You could put "posts" under the roosts or double up the boards. If you double them up, you might seal the crack it is harder for parasites to hide.
I have never attempted anything like this because me and measuring confuses me I’ve attempted to put a birdhouse together before but I just couldn’t figure it out. It was really overwhelming. So since those other roosts are 4 feet long I had the new boards cut to 4 feet as well. They were 6 feet before. Wood is SO expensive. I probably or (maybe) would be able to cut notches in the wood and I hope I could have enough skill to do it right. I only a hack saw. My skilsaw went out on me and it was expensive and just past the warranty

I have 5 hens. 2 Orpingtons, I blue black splash marans, 1 Wyandotte,

I have never attempted anything like this because me and measuring confuses me I’ve attempted to put a birdhouse together before but I just couldn’t figure it out. It was really overwhelming. So since those other roosts are 4 feet long I had the new boards cut to 4 feet as well. They were 6 feet before. Wood is SO expensive. I probably or (maybe) would be able to cut notches in the wood and I hope I could have enough skill to do it right. I only a hack saw. My skilsaw went out on me and it was expensive and just past the warranty

I see. Maybe try using just one roost and see if they can fit. I have 8 pullets that have a coop all to to themselves and have yet to see the nearly 1 year old birds use more than 4' of it. My older birds spread out a bit more but again never fill their roost.

I would take out the existing roost and put the new one across the top of those 2 roost supports we can see in the picture. If it doesn't work out you can always extend those supports and add a second roost 14" from the first. Yup it ends up in the way some potentially.

Back
Top Bottom