Need some help really bad, maggots ate through my rooster neck!

Atlas LaHaye

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Okay so I have been posting about my rooster who had botulism he is now SO much better, but I am at war with maggots, I bath him in warm water( he LOVES it), and I thought he was trying to drown himself yesterday as he kept putting his head under water (so I held it up fo him), but tonight I noticed a black cut looking thing on his neck, and I looked, and surprise surprise, it has maggots in it, and I think I see in his neck like his tubes, my question is:

Can I clean his neck under water or will that kill him (I can not get meds at the moment)
have I lost this war do I have to put him down now?
I have him in a cage now where flies can't get him.

PLEASE HELP!!
Thank you.

I have heard of people using hydrogen peroxide to get the maggots out and then rinsing the wound with water to dilute any residual H2O2. I would look it up first though (via search on BYC) since I haven't done it and don't know all the "rules" of when to apply it and when not to.

gotta get 'em out. ALL of them. If the rooster is breathing ok, then try putting him in a Betadine (povidone iodine) bath up to & just above the top of the wound. As someone else mentioned, you may need to use tweezers to get them all.

Use regular strength hydrogen perixide to flush them out. Use an irrigation syringe (the ones with the curved, pointed tip) if possible, and keep flushing until you don't get any more. Pack the wound with SWAT or FLYS OFF ointment. Next day flush with diluted povidone iodine to make sure there are no more maggots. Put him on a strong antibiotic (baytril is best). Keep him inside away from flies until he is all healed.

Wash the wound with diluted betadine and if you don't have that tonight- wash the area with some type of mild soap. It will not hurt the wound to get wet or to wash the area. Whatever maggots remain pick those out with a pair of tweezers and then reclean the wound. Keep the bird inside. You can pack the wound with neosporin without the caine in it. Leave the wound open with the neosporin on it. Tomorrow recheck the wound and pick up some betadine and was the wound. Remove any remaining maggots. Start the bird on some antiiotics. Continue to keep the bird inside until the wound has healed. Increase the bird's protein to aid with wound healing with some cooked eggs. Give us updates.

Back
Top Bottom