Need some help sexing Araucana chicks Please

Stel82

Hatching
Jun 18, 2016
Hi.

I have 8 week old Araucana chicks that I need some help with sexing please. I suspect I have two Cockerels but not 100% sure. There is 9 chicks and I have placed a colored dot on each to make it easier to refer to them. The dots are: White, Black, Pink, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Purple, Green and Red. I would also appreciate to know what their coloring is.

Thanks.

The only one screaming rooster is green dot (red wing bars and bright comb).

You don't mention the ages, so I am assuming around 10 to 14 weeks???

White dot may be a rooster as well. Knowing the age would help with that one.

As to color patterns, I presume you are using European standards for Araucana as I see tufts and tails (but no muffs on some).

Because of the variations in muffing, tufting, etc., I suspicion they are hybrid mixes or non-standard Araucanas and not really any set pattern.

Araucanas come in a lot of colors in Europe though, and I am not familiar with those color patterns.

LofMc

and....

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Thanks for your reply. They are 8 weeks old as stated. :) I live in New Zealand so could be that they follow Euro standard. Breeder sold them as purebred but who knows. Really only want them of eggs so not too fussed. The eggs were a beautiful green or blue color. I also though green and White are boys. Possibly purple too but (s)he is taking longer than the others to fully feather. They sure are hard to determine. Might need to hold onto them for a few more weeks to be sure.

Hi Thanks for your reply. They are 8 weeks old as stated. :) I live in New Zealand so could be that they follow Euro standard. Breeder sold them as purebred but who knows. Really only want them of eggs so not too fussed. The eggs were a beautiful green or blue color. I also though green and White are boys. Possibly purple too but (s)he is taking longer than the others to fully feather. They sure are hard to determine. Might need to hold onto them for a few more weeks to be sure.
The mixes are easier to guess. The crests on the purebreds makes it harder to see combs, and therefore they are a bit harder to sex.

Back
Top Bottom