Need some help sexing Araucana chicks Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stel82, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Stel82

Stel82 New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Hi.

I have 8 week old Araucana chicks that I need some help with sexing please. I suspect I have two Cockerels but not 100% sure. There is 9 chicks and I have placed a colored dot on each to make it easier to refer to them. The dots are: White, Black, Pink, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Purple, Green and Red. I would also appreciate to know what their coloring is.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The only one screaming rooster is green dot (red wing bars and bright comb).

You don't mention the ages, so I am assuming around 10 to 14 weeks???

White dot may be a rooster as well. Knowing the age would help with that one.

As to color patterns, I presume you are using European standards for Araucana as I see tufts and tails (but no muffs on some).

Because of the variations in muffing, tufting, etc., I suspicion they are hybrid mixes or non-standard Araucanas and not really any set pattern.

Araucanas come in a lot of colors in Europe though, and I am not familiar with those color patterns.

LofMc

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    and....

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree

6. Stel82

Stel82 New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Hi Thanks for your reply. They are 8 weeks old as stated. :) I live in New Zealand so could be that they follow Euro standard. Breeder sold them as purebred but who knows. Really only want them of eggs so not too fussed. The eggs were a beautiful green or blue color. I also though green and White are boys. Possibly purple too but (s)he is taking longer than the others to fully feather. They sure are hard to determine. Might need to hold onto them for a few more weeks to be sure.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

8. Stel82

Stel82 New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Cool Thanks. Have been stalking the site/forum for ages, Was overdue to sign up. :D

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The mixes are easier to guess. The crests on the purebreds makes it harder to see combs, and therefore they are a bit harder to sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by